You are here

Setting up your new energy accounts

So, you’re about to move into your new home, but you don’t have the foggiest how to go about sorting out the gas and electricity situation. Don’t fret! Stick with us and you’ll have it all sorted in no time! Below lies all the information you will need to deal with the existing energy contracts in your new property and upgrade them to your new, cheaper, and let’s face it, better ones.

If you haven’t already dealt with your soon-to-be-old property’s energy contracts, click the text link and head on over to our how to guide on ‘how to close your old utility account’.

After Moving

Contact the current supplier

When you move into your new property you are required to contact the current energy supplier in order to let them know that you have moved in. This allows them to distinguish between the last tenants departure and your arrival when dividing their billing. Be aware that some properties will not have their gas and electric contracted with the same company.

If you do not know who your current supplier is, you can contact the Meter Point Administration Service on 0870 608 1524. Alternatively you can contact your region’s Distribution Network Operator (DNO on the number provided in the table below:

DNO Region Number
North Scotland 0800 300 999
Central and South Scotland 0800 092 9290 / 0330 1010 222 for mobiles
North East England 0800 668 877
North West England 0800 195 4141
Eastern England 0800 783 8838 / 0333 202 2021 for mobiles
Southern England 0800 072 7282
South West England, South Wales, West & East Midlands 0800 678 3105
South East England 0800 783 8866 / 0333 202 2023 for mobiles
London 0800 028 0247 / 0333 202 2022 for mobiles
Yorkshire 0800 375 675
Merseyside, Cheshire, North Shropshire & North Wales 0800 001 5400 / 0330 101 0400 for mobiles

Read the meters

It is also important that you read the meters in your new home in order to prevent overlap in tenancies. Your reading can be given when you call to inform them of your moving.

RememberYou are responsible for your bills from the day that you take ownership of your new property, not the day you decide to move in.

Does your new property have a prepayment meter?

If your new property has a prepayment meter you should contact your supplier immediately. The last thing you want is to be paying off any debts that may have been left by the previous occupant. As such, you should avoid using or topping up the meter until you have spoken to your supplier. Whilst speaking with them, you should also ask them to:

  • Remove any debt from the meter left by any previous occupants
  • Replace your top-up card/key with a new one for you to put money on the meter
  • Send you any information you should need regarding your meter, including what to do if you were to encounter an issue.

You will most likely benefit from changing your prepayment meter for one that allows you to pay for your energy after you use it rather than in advance. According to the Citizens Advice Bureaux, ‘the cheapest prepayment meter deal costs you an average of £235 a year more than the cheapest direct debit deal’.

If you do, however, decide to keep your prepayment meter, click on one of the following images to find your nearest PayZone, PayPoint or Post Office so you can top up your meter.




If you wish to replace your prepayment meter for a credit meter (used for direct debit and monthly payments based on usage), then you will have to contact your supplier. This should be the supplier that you’re going to continue using after your meter has been installed. Most companies will require that you take a credit check. If you pass, your energy supplier will change your prepayment meter for a new credit meter. Depending on supplier, you could be charged a small fee for any costs incurred during the credit check procedure or towards installation costs.

Your new energy supplier

Once you have informed your new property’s current supplier that you’re moving in, you’ll be automatically placed onto what’s called a ‘deemed contract’. This is usually one of the most expensive tariffs a supplier has at their disposal, so you should definitely start looking for a better deal right away! This could be with the current supplier, or with a new one.

You can’t change your energy supplier before you become responsible for the property; only once you have taken responsibility for the property can you start the switching process. This usually takes around 21 days, meaning you’ll have to pay at least one bill with the current supplier.

It's Time!So, it's time to start searching for a cracking new deal for your gas and electricity, and luckily, we can help you out. Just give us a call and we'll get started!
01704 325056