EDF Energy Logo

Need a Better Deal on Gas and Electric?

Find out how much you can save with EDF Energy today

How To Change Name on Utility Bills

Updated on
min reading
People changing name on energy bills

If you’ve moved house or you’ve taken over someone else’s bill, you’ll need to know how to change names on utility bills. Whether you’re the account holder or standing in, we’ve laid out how you can change name on utility bills in our guide.

Reasons To Change the Name on Your Utility Bills


There are many reasons why you might need to change the name on your utility bills. If you are in a situation where your personal information has changed since you set up your gas and electricity bills, you should update it as soon as possible with your supplier to make sure they have the correct details.

Here are some of the common reason why you might need to change the name on your utility bills:

  1. You’ve legally changed your name - if you’ve decided to legally change your name, you’ll need to make sure your supplier knows. If you’ve changed your last name after getting married or divorced, you’ll also need to update your supplier of the change.
  2. Taking over from landlord - if you’ve just moved into a new rented home, you’ll need to change the name and bank details of your landlord to your own.
  3. Landlord’s tenants - if you’re a landlord and you need to update the name and payment details on the account as and when new tenants move in, replacing the previous bill payers.
  4. Joint homeowners - you and your partner are both the homeowners, or at least one of you has moved in with the other. You want both of your names to appear on the gas and electricity bills.
  5. Splitting student bills - you’re sharing a student house and you’ll want each member to appear on the bills. Alternatively, you may just want to or change the payer’s bank details based on who will be responsible for paying them.
  6. Taking over from a bereavement - it might be the case that you’ll need to change the name on the bill if you’ve suffered a bereavement and you're taking over the accounts.
  7. Elderly, disabled or infirm - if the homeowner is elderly, disabled or infirm, it’s difficult to ensure uninterrupted payments for energy bills. Perhaps somebody else could make the payments while retaining the account holder’s name? The bill payer also has the option of adding his or her name to the account.

How Do You Change the Name on Your Utility Bills?

Changing your name and your utility bills is a simple process that can be done online or over the phone without many problems. It will usually have to be the account holder who makes the change and you’ll have to make sure you have the correct account information with you, such as account number and postcode.

How To Change Name on Electricity Bill


If you need to change the name on your electricity bill, you can do this either via the online account or via a phone call. We would recommend you try and update it online so you avoid waiting on the phone.

To change name on the electricity bill online, all you need to do is:

  1. Access your online account.
  2. Choose 'My Account Details' from the menu.
  3. Go to the 'Personal Details' section and click on the (+) button to open it.
  4. Fill in the form with the changed name and click on 'Update Name'.
  5. Now that your name is updated, access your account again with the new details and go back to the 'My Account' page by repeating steps 2 and 3.

If you also want to update your bank details, you can access your account in the same way online, but instead:

  1. Go to 'Manage your Direct Debit' in your account.
  2. Go to the 'Personal Details' section and click on the (+) button to open it.
  3. Go to 'Bank Details' and change the bank details and the name of the cardholder.

You’ll need to have a copy of your latest bill with your account number and your non-sensitive bank details, including your bank account number and sort code.

If you prefer to change the name on your electricity bills over the phone, call your energy supplier directly with their contact number. Here’s a list of the contact numbers of the main energy providers:

Supplier Name Supplier Number
British Gas 0330 100 0056
EDF Energy 0333 200 5100
E.ON Energy 0345 052 0000
SSE 0345 070 7373
Octopus Energy 0808 164 1088
OVO Energy 0330 303 5063
Scottish Power 0800 027 0072

How To Change Name on Water Bill


If you need to change the name on your water bill, it is a very similar process, except you will need to call your regional water supplier instead, since you cannot change water suppliers. You can also change your details via your online water account.

If you want more information about how to get in touch with your water provider, check out our Water Suppliers list.

Can Someone Put My Name on a Utility Bill?

Your energy supplier may require some form of authorisation to make any change on the account. That authorisation can come in the form of consent (either orally or in writing) or via a Lasting Power of Attorney.

Consent is the most frequent form of authorisation needed to make a change on the account. Consent will need to be given by both the current account holder and the incoming account holder or the new payer (i.e. the new person who will be paying the bills). This consent may have to be given either orally or in writing, depending on the requirements of the energy provider.


The consent from both parties can often be given orally over the phone with both of you being present. This makes the process quick and easy. Just call your energy supplier and an agent will record the consent given from the two of you.

Some suppliers may not accept oral consent, requiring instead consent to be given in writing. This would be done via a Letter of Authority. This is a letter in which both the current account holder and the other party (or parties) agree to the change being made on the account. You must both sign it and email it to your supplier as an attachment, either in JPEG or PDF format.

What Is Lasting Power of Attorney (LPA)?


It may be the case that the account holder is unable to give consent to the change on the account, either orally or in writing, due to a lack of mental or physical capacity. In this event, you would need a Lasting Power of Attorney (LPA).

With regard to the energy account, a Lasting Power of Attorney is a legal document that lets the account holder appoint someone else to help manage their account on their behalf.

How Do You Get an LPA

There are two types of LPA that you can get if you becoming responsible for someone else’s account:

  1. Property and Financial Affairs LPA
  2. Health and Welfare LPA

For energy bills, you’ll need the first one and before it can take effect, it must be registered by the Office of the Public Guardian (OPG).

Once registered, you will have the same powers to manage the account as the incapacitated account holder. This can include the ability to receive all energy bills sent to an address of your choice, submit meter readings and pay the bills.

How Do I Inform My Energy Company I Have an LPA?


The energy supplier will need evidence of your authority to act for the account holder. This is likely to be the original LPA that has been completed, signed and registered with the Office of the Public Guardian. In addition, they may ask for proof of your name and address.

Alternatively, they may request a photocopy of the LPA, on the condition that it is a certified copy. That means it has to be signed and stamped on every page by a solicitor or a notary to confirm that it is a true copy of the original.

Additional Support with Energy Bills

If you are struggling to pay your energy bills, there are several government schemes and grants available to help with your energy bills, such as the Warm Home Discount, Winter Fuel Payment and Energy Company Obligation. If a relative is facing financial difficulty, they may be able to take full advantage of these.

Find out more by visiting Home Energy Grants and Schemes guide.

The services and products mentioned on this website may only represent a small selection of the options available to you. Selectra encourages you to carry out your own research and seek advice if necessary before making any decisions. We may receive commission from selected partner providers on sales of some products and/or services mentioned within this website. Our website is free to use, and the commission we receive does not affect our opinion or the information we provide.

EDF Energy Logo

Need a Better Deal on Gas and Electric?

Find out how much you can save with EDF Energy today