Welcome to Leeds
Congratulations on entering this new chapter of life as a student in Leeds! Ranked by Lonely Planet as the 5th best place to live in Europe. Here you can expect to receive a fantastic education, while also having a lot of fun.
Did you know Leeds ranks at number 101 on the world list of The 1000 Best Universities? The Leeds alumni community, noteworthy for their achievements in the entertainment , governance, journalism, music, science/technology sectors , all got their start here, as you are now.
- Neighbourhoods in Leeds
- Energy Savings for Student Housing In Leeds
- Internet and Mobile Phone Plans
- Things to do in Leeds
- Leeds University Key contact information
Leeds is a cultural hub, boasting 16 free museums, has so much to offer. Leeds’ restaurants, its DIY art scene, architecture, thriving music scene, shopping, and breathtaking natural scenery makes it an amazing location for students! With so many things to do in Leeds, you’ll have the world at your fingertips.
Part of being a student is learning to manage a budget and live comfortably within your meanwhile studying. The process of budgeting responsibly is a valuable life lesson that you will benefit from as you become increasingly independent. In a place where a pint costs £3.50, Leeds is the perfect place for you to enjoy the best years of your life, all on a budget.
To help you out, Selectra created this guide about opportunities for the taking as a Leeds student. Allow us to assist you to become financially empowered and prosper while enjoying memorable life-changing experiences.
When comparing Leeds to London, housing in Leeds is 33% less expensive. The overall cost of living in Leeds is 16.98% cheaper! A student room can cost £433 with an average utility bill of £128.51. Headingley, Woodhouse, Kirkstall are three popular Leeds neighbourhoods for students. Students can browse their potential housing options on Spare Rooms!
Headingley is a suburban neighbourhood with a lively cosmopolitan community. It boasts several great Indian and Mediterranean restaurants with student offers on their menus. You can also expect a range of stylish and comfy bars and pubs to kick back with your friends after lectures.
Woodhouse, a residential area situated close to Leeds University, is recognizable for its stunning brick architecture.It’s a stone’s throw away from Hyde Park.
Kirkstall, a northwestern suburb of Leeds, is situated just 20 minutes away from the university so you can roll out of bed and straight into the lecture hall. This area is famous for its famous 12th-century monastery, Kirkstall Abbey.
Energy Savings for Student Housing In Leeds
You’ve explored Leeds, found a flat you like and signed a contract. Once you've moved in, you need to think about your utilities. Students are often unaware that they can save a lot of money on their energy bills. Npower is the most popular provider in Leeds, despite being a member of the notoriously expensive Big 6.
Most landlords don’t really think about the energy tariff and providers that they sign up their properties for. These typically are within a group of providers informally called the “Big 6”, whose prices are much higher than their competitors.
Energy Bills: Accommodation for Leeds students and How to Save!
Nowadays, consumers can save a lot of money over the course of their time in a flat by closely monitoring rates offered by different energy providers and proactively switching when a better deal arises. Selectra's comparison tool! was designed to empower students like you to make the best choices. Tenants are often unaware that they have the right to select their providers and pursue better deals!
The energy providers that provide excellent customer service at a decent cost are:
Tonik Energy is a Birmingham UK based independent gas and electricity supplier that was set up in 2015. Not only do Tonik Energy have some of the cheapest renewable energy tariffs in the country, but they also invest heavily in developing technology that will even further reduce your consumption and monthly spend.
Nabuh Energy has great low prices and has a commitment to answer the phone in less than 30 seconds.
Octopus Energy are one of the most highly rated energy suppliers in the market. They have invested heavily in customer service and renewable energy, receiving a landslide of positive reviews as a result. .
You’re at university to study and have fun. Switching providers can be a time consuming task. Call Selectra to save yourself the leg-work of setting up your new flat with internet and energy.
Mobile and Internet Plans for Leeds Students
Leeds University Research Library is one of the most renowned research libraries in the UK, and is a haven for students and academics alike. Here you will have access to a near infinite supply of articles, journals and academic resources, as well as computers with high-speed internet connections.
While you´re on campus, you can be connected to the online spaces with ease. However, you will need to connected the internet when you get home after a long day,especially as a student when you need to be accessible to your classmates when partnering up for projects, as well as your lecturers who will post your assignments and marks via online platforms such as Blackboard and Minerva. Many valuable resources are online-only. You also need a broadband connection to access Netflix and stay up-to-date on whatever binge-worthy current series is popular now with your classmates!
Broadband providers in Leeds
Leeds is a well connected urban centre with many options for broadband packages. We strongly recommend the following providers for their various advantages!
BT's phone, broadband and TV deals are some of the most comprehensive on the market. BT TV and broadband packages go all the way from about £33 over £100 per month. Surprisingly, BT Sport is not included in all BT TV packages, so if that’s what you’re really interested in then choose carefully!
Virgin Media grants you access to one of the fastest internet connection speeds in the UK as well as up to 260 television channels. Virgin Media also does well in the customer service stakes with consistently positive feedback from its customers.
Other Ways to Save for Students
Download your books online rather than buying them from vendors in print. The command F feature allows you to seamlessly find whatever subject you´re looking for within the text, saving you the time it would take to utilise the index to find the page you´re looking for.
Things to do in Leeds
Are you looking for your new local spot to grab a bite, a coffee, or a drink? Well, Selectra knows exactly where you can find what you're looking for!
Laptop-friendly Leeds Coffeeshops for Students
- Kapow Cofee -This cafe has a lot of space for coffee lovers to get comfortable perching with their laptops, breathing in the aromas of coffees brewed on site. Their happy hour is 10 am to 11 am, optimal for students trying to maximize their caffeine intake on a budget.
- If-Coffee bar - If you’re pulling a late night studying, you can take comfort in knowing that this Leeds establishment stays open until 11 pm. If you need peace and quiet, away from chatter, the upstairs room is an established silent space! Homemade granola with yoghurt and a coffee costs just £4.50 here
- Stage Espresso and Brew Bar - A well situated and trendy cafe that is popular with students, NHS employees, and businesspeople. Stage Espresso offers a diverse selection of coffees and is perfect for meeting to work on group projects.
- Open Source Arts - A vegetarian cafe, co-working, and event space. Open Source Arts is an eclectic and energizing space where a lot is happening simultaneously.
Arts and Music
Leeds Grand Theatre, opera at The Howard Assembly Room, ballet at West Yorkshire Playhouse, comedy at CarriageworksTheatre or the charming Leeds City Varieties Music Hall, dance at the Stanley & Audrey Burton Theatre or an independent production at the HUB.
Leeds is renowned for its music scene. Quality music venues and boasts famous local talent such as Alt-J and the Kaiser Chiefs. Globally renowned visitors that are passing through Leeds on tour usually perform at First Direct Arena or at the O2 Academy. Local and independent artists frequent Brudenell, The Wardrobe or the Belgrave. Leeds hosts two music festivals that pull in global acts, the massive Leeds Festival and the citywide Live at Leeds.
See all the upcoming concerts in Leeds!
£10 Leeds Restaurants
- Viet Baker - this Vietnamese establishment specializes in Banh Mis and pho, among many other Vietnamese delights! On a chilly day, there's nothing better than a hot bowl of pho to warm you up and clear your sinuses.
- Falafel Guys - Trip advisor’s top-rated Leeds restaurant is this falafel food truck, where an assortment of wraps and bowls cost in the 4-7range. Their offerings cater to vegans, vegetarians, and meat eaters alike. The Egyptian brothers that run this spot remember the names of their returning customers and have a strong rapport with students. Their motto is “come hungry, leave happy.”
- Oranaise - If you need an escape without leaving the city, we strongly recommend Oranaise: a North African restaurant decorated with lanterns, rugs, artwork from Morocco and Algeria. If you want to try several delights at once, we recommend the mezze platter which consists of humous, couscous, falafel, kofta meatballs, merguez sausages, and spicy chicken.
- Pieminister - A very special mince pie establishment that offers classic pies as well as vegetarian and gluten-free variants. At the weekend they offer a bottomless brunch.
- Manjit’s Kitchen - Various Indian dishes are sold here where you can eat your fill without breaking the bank. Dosas, thalis, and a curry of the day are among the many delights you can find here.
- Neon Cactus - A Mexican street food restaurant and bar, Neon cactus boasts £1 tacos during their power hour!
- Outlaws Yacht Club - A pub that serves charcuterie and other snacks with an elegant presentation. They offer activities every night such as quizzes, tastings, DJ nights and more.
Don't Forget Reddit!
Believe it or not, the website Reddit has a wealth of knowledge that can help students and young adults learn how to budget and eat cheaply and healthily. Look into general subreddit for Leeds inhabitants!
We hope that this guide was able to help you better envision your new life as a member of Leeds Student Union! Get in touch with Selectra for free assistance to better understand your tariff options to save money in your new flat. Then just spend those savings on enjoying your student years in one of the most vibrant cities in the UK.
Key contact information
The Leeds universities have great student services, so if you would like to chat with someone there before you reach out to us at Selectra, you can find their contact information below.
Leeds University Student Accommodation
+44 (0) 113 343 7777