You want to run a successful business for many years to come. Joining the cheap energy club is vital if you want to beat the competition and generate a high net turnover. Your business needs energy. Make it cheaper by bringing down the total gas and power cost per month. Love energy deals? Read on to find out how to get the best one for your business.
Energy Saving Club: Business Electricity Rates Reduction?
Who is my electricity supplier and gas supplier? Out of the 50 energy companies in the UK, who are the best and worst energy suppliers? You can answer the first question, we’ve already answered the second. Our energy experts at Selectra have analysed all the figures and have laid out only the best of the “Big Six” and the “Independent Suppliers”. You’ll want to know the difference between the two, as well as the best and cheapest for domestic energy.
But business electricity prices are different. Business energy as a whole is different to domestic. For one, you won’t get a single dual energy tariff for gas and electricity. Instead, you’ll get two separate tariffs.
From the basics of business energy which you would have already read, you know that you can simply switch to another supplier who offers you a better deal. You know better than to stick with one of the Big Six if an Independent Supplier can do better. To help you make the right decision, we’ve given you a list of energy suppliers from both camps.
Best Business Energy Supplier: Where Do I Start Looking?
Remember that each business is different, so take this methodical approach before you pick the best supplier for your company:
STEP 1:Understand the key parts of your business energy bills. They’re not the same as domestic bills, so be careful.
STEP 2: Be clear about the size or your business. How much is an average company of your size spending on gas and electricity per year?
STEP 3:The type of goods and services you’re selling. This will impact your business energy bills. You’ll want to know what supplier is best for your type of business. Get your 7 Golden Tips to reduce your business’ consumption. This could range from having smart heating controls to setting up IFTT rules & triggers for your company’s smart devices.
STEP 4:Compare the best providers for your business. You’ve read the reviews and you now have a good idea of the best provider for your business. Perhaps you still have some questions. Call Selectra to get a comparison of all the rates and deals out there. You’ll also get a recommendation for the best supplier for your business.
Bear in mind the following factors when selecting the best supplier to help your profits grow.
- Customer Scores - If most of their customers rave about their great customer service, you’ll have peace of mind that you will too.
- Tools For Your Business - What tools does the supplier offer your business to help you reduce your energy bills? It may be tracking tools, a voice assistant, price plunging, etc.
- Long term Security and Stability- Can the supplier offer you a low rate, both now and far into the future?
- 100% Renewable Energy - Avoid the Climate Change Levy to pay less and inject that saving back into your business.
Business Energy Suppliers UK
British Gas is the biggest business energy supplier that serves approximately 500,000 businesses and around the UK. Key features for businesses include:
- Rates at a fixed price 1, 2 & 3 years for business electricity & gas plans.
- Option to submit online meter readings.
- Offers a range of plans starting at £79.00 that includes repairs, service and maintenance.
- Gas & Electricity: Unit Rate 21.25 p/kwh | Standing Charge 56.26 p/day.
Octopus Energy’s popularity among businesses has skyrocketed, having gained an average of 30,000 new customers per month! Octopus is the official 2019 Recommended Provider (WRP) for energy awarded by Which? magazine. Key features for businesses from Octopus Energy include:
- Its tariffs for businesses are among the cheapest in England, Scotland and Wales.
- Companies can avoid paying the Climate Change Levy with Octopus’ Green tariff, providing 100% renewable electricity.
- Businesses can track wholesale energy prices and use more energy when it costs less.
- Electricity: Unit Rate 12.29 p/kwh | Standing Charge 18.90 p/day.
- Gas: Unit Rate 2.89 p/kwh | Standing Charge 18.90 p/day
ScottishPower offers energy tariffs for both small businesses and large companies. Key features for businesses include:
- Small businesses can choose between 1, 2 and 3 year fixed term contracts.
- Large companies have the option of 3 fixed tariffs, 1 flexible tariff or 1 variable tariff.
- Electricity: Unit Rate 16.00 p/kwh | Standing Charge 46.00 p/day.
- Gas: Unit Rate 5.50 p/kwh | Standing Charge 25.00 p/day.
The Utility Warehouse currently offer business services to around 30,000 SMEs around the UK. Key features for businesses include:
- No minimum contract length with no penalty for switching supplier.
- 10% extra discount after 12 months with Gold Status.
- Electricity: Unit Rate 15.8 p/kwh | Standing Charge 22.44 p/day.
- Gas: 3.93 p/kwh | Standing Charge 18.90 p/day.
E.ON has business energy tariffs aimed at both small, medium and large business customers. It’s the biggest investor-owned electricity and gas company. Key features for businesses include:
- Fixed prices for 1, 2 or 3 year terms.
- Protection from price increases throughout your plan.
- Electricity: Unit Rate 12.40 p/kwh | Standing Charge 80.00 p/day
- Gas: Unit Rate 6.37 p/kwh | Standing Charge 35.00 p/day.
Utilita Energy has a “One Price Fits All” Business Tariff for SMEs and large companies. Key features for businesses include:
- 12 or 24 month fixed price contract.
- Utilita will give you a free smart meter with Smart Energy Monitor.
- Electricity:Unit Rate 17.00 p/kwh | Standing Charge 35.00 p/day.
- Gas: Unit Rate 5.00 p/kwh | Standing Charge 35.00 p/day.
Npower divides its business energy tariffs between small businesses and medium-large businesses. Key features for businesses include:
- Small businesses can benefit from either a “fixed tariff” for up to 3 years or a “variable tariff” with no deposit needed.
- Medium and large businesses have the choice from 3 Fixed tariffs or 5 variable tariffs.
- Electricity: Unit Rate 25.46 p/kwh |Standing Charge 57.79 p/day.
- Gas: Unit Rate 7.58 p/kwh | Standing Charge 129.00 p/day.
Bulb Energy is an up-and-coming green energy supplier in the UK. Large businesses may need to look elsewhere for a good deal, but Bulb Energy reviews are not that bad overall. Key features for businesses include:
- 10% renewable gas and 100% renewable electricity supplies.
- No contract, nor any early exit fees.
- Electricity:Unit Rate 12.05 p/kwh | Standing Charge 27.40 p/day.
- Gas:Unit Rate 3.08 p/kwh | Standing Charge 27.40 p/day.
EDF splits its tariffs between SMEs (small and medium businesses) and large businesses. Key features for businesses include:
- SMEs benefit from a Fixed tariff for up to 4 years or a variable tariff with no fixed end date.
- Large businesses can choose among 3 fixed tariffs up to 36 months. EDF boiler cover is one of the added services provided.
- Electricity:Unit Rate 18.06 p/kwh | Standing Charge 35.00 p/day.
- Gas: Unit Rate 5.90 p/kwh | Standing Charge 35.00 p/day.
Ecotricity is among the leading green energy suppliers in the UK for SMEs. Larger businesses can get bespoke tariffs. Key features for businesses include:
- A full range of fixed-rate and flexible rolling contracts with no exit fees.
- One tariff with fixed pricing without any contract renewals.
- Electricity: Unit Rate 14.15 p/kwh | Standing Charge 18.90 p/day.
- Gas: Unit Rate 3.95 p/kwh | Standing Charge 24.15 p/day.
SSE Enterprise Energy and SSE Business Energy offer both electricity and gas to both small and large businesses. Key features for businesses include:
- Fixed rate contracts offered for micro and small businesses.
- Protection from billing errors if you run a micro business.
- Electricity: Unit Rate14.44 p/kwh | Standing Charge 16.57 p/day.
- Gas: Unit Rate 3.23 p/kwh | Standing Charge 128.00 p/day.
Bristol Energy is a small business energy supplier for SMEs in Bristol and the surrounding areas. Key features for businesses include:
- A large range of fixed contracts and pay-as-you-go plans.
- Flexible contract and payment options.
- Electricity:Unit Rate 22.5 p/kwh | Standing Charge 43.74 p/day*.
- Gas:Unit Rate 4.44 p/kwh |Standing Charge 69.81 p/day
Please note: Company reviews are based on both business and domestic customers and are simply a weighted average from Which?, Trustpilot and Selectra. Scores and average reviews accurate as of 10 April 2019. Help With Energy Bills will help you understand the meaning of Unit Rate and Standing Charge. Gas and electricity prices per kwh are displayed at out of contract rates. Each provider has their own definition of a micro, small, medium and large company. If in doubt, see the UK government and EU definition.
Business Energy: Who Comes Out On Top?
You’re running a business for the financial security you’ve always dreamed of. Although this will involve a lot of blood, sweat and tears, your objective is clear. A comfortable life with your loved ones while your business’ net profit continues to grow. The key to this is keeping your running costs down, which is within your full control.
Don’t settle for the most popular energy supplier. Pick the one that will make your business flourish and that will help you retire early! Selectra’s energy experts recommend British Gas out of the Big Six, and Octopus Energy out of the independent leaders. Let’s compare them side by side so that you know what to expect from each.
|Charge||British Gas||Octopus Energy||Who's Cheaper?|
|Unit Rate||Electricity||21.25 p/kwh||12.29 p/kwh||Octopus Energy|
|Gas||21.25 p/kwh||2.89 p/kwh||Octopus Energy|
|Standing Charge||Electricity||56.26 p/kwh||18.90 p/day||Octopus Energy|
|Gas||56.26 p/kwh||18.90 p/day||Octopus Energy|
|British Gas||Octopus Energy|
|Consumer Review Analyst||British Gas||Octopus Energy|
Octopus not only show the tracker tariff but compare it to what I could pay for my energy usage if I was with a competitor. I get true transparency of what I pay on a daily basis, and I'm now more enthusiastic to learn what I'm forecasted to consume over an annual basis.
(Source: Octopus Energy)
They (British Gas) have a team who you can talk to to see if there’s any way you can reduce your consumption.
Becoming the financial success you’ve dreamed of starts with 4 simple steps. Get informed and make the best decision for your profitable and successful business... for many years to come.