EDF Energy Logo

Need a Better Deal on Gas and Electric?

Find out how much you can save with EDF Energy today

Selectra UK is not affiliated with this energy provider.

Npower Moving Home: All You Need to Know

Updated on
min reading
Person carrying moving box next to Npower  logo

Moving home for existing or new Npower customers has been made simple thanks to the Npower Moving Home Hub. Find out here what to do and who to contact when moving in or out of an Npower supplied home.

Moving out: existing Npower customers

There's a lot to think about when moving home. Following a checklist of do's and dont's will make you feel more confident. You'll also want to follow a separate checklist of who to notify so that all the important records are updated with your new address.

If you’re an existing Npower customer and you’re moving home, you may decide to stay with them at your new place. This makes sense if you’ve secured a great tariff and you want to take it with you to your new household.

The Npower Moving Home page states that you can indeed “take your existing tariff with you,” but you’ll need to let them know up to 28 days before you move. To do that, simply log in to your Npower online account. Click the button below to find out how to do this.

Remember that you’ll need to have the following to hand:

  • Username
  • Password, or
  • Npower Account Number (if you’ve forgotten your login details)

Once you’ve logged in, you’ll be asked to supply the following information:

  1. Your new address
  2. The date you stop/start being legally responsible for each property (the old one and the new one)
  3. Your closing and opening meter readings. (Note that this does not apply if you have a smart meter)
  4. The type of meters at the new home

Once Npower has finalised the account at your old home, they offer the Npower Moving Home Hub to help you find the right tariff for your new one. You can get a head start by getting a quote online.

Moving in: to stay or not to stay with Npower?

It may be the case that you don’t know who was supplying your new home with gas and electricity. If the seller or previous occupant told you that it was Npower, this may either be a pleasant or not-so-pleasant surprise. Either way, remember that this news doesn’t oblige you to sign a new contract with Npower.

Ofgem has made it clear that homeowners like you have complete freedom to switch to any supplier you like.

If you decide you want your new home to be supplied by Npower, just follow these six simple steps to find the best tariff.

STEP 1: Head to their moving home page here.

STEP 2: Enter the postcode of your new address and select the property number from the dropdown menu.

STEP 3: Answer the following questions on the screen:

Gas and electricity, just gas or just electricity.

NOTE: While it may be tempting to choose “No”, grab one of your old energy bills from your previous address. Take a look at the tariff you were on. This will detail what you were paying for the unit rate and standing charge. If you do this you can choose “yes” to this question, enter the figures and get a more accurate quote for a more personalised selection of tariffs.

  1. What would you like us to supply?
  2. Do you know your current tariffs?
  3. How many bedrooms are there?
    1. 1-2
    2. 3
    3. 4+
  4. How many people live there?

STEP 4: Click the big blue button with “Get my quote”.

STEP 5: From the list of tariffs suggested by Npower, choose the one you think is best for your new home. It may be of no surprise that the choices are all of those listed on Npower’s tariff page. This comprises three fixed-rate tariffs and one variable-rate tariff.

You'll want to look at the features of each tariff carefully and not just the summarised version given to you. Head to our Npower Tariffs page to see what you can get in each tariff and decide which is best for your new home.

STEP 6: Once you’ve chosen your preferred tariff, click on the corresponding blue “view and apply” button and follow the instructions on the screen until you reach the end of the progress bar.

Moving a tenant

If you’re a landlord, it may be your tenant who’s moving out of a home that was being supplied by Npower. You’ll need to give Npower at least two days’ notice before the tenant moves out to enable Npower to register the change of occupant. Below you’ll find out the details to provide Npower with and how to tell them that a tenant is moving in or out.

What do I need to tell Npower about the tenant?

You’ll need to have the following details to hand when you contact Npower about an old tenant moving out and/or a new tenant moving in:

  1. The previous tenant’s details* - including their closing meter readings and their forwarding address for their final bill.
  2. The date the previous tenant stopped being responsible for the energy supply.
  3. The new tenant’s details*, and the date they started being responsible for the energy supply, together with their opening meter readings.
  4. Any gaps in the tenancy. This is important because, as the landlord, you're responsible for paying the energy bills that accrue during this period. Remember that even if there’s no usage at the vacant property, the standing charge will continue to accrue each day, independent of energy usage.

*Note that for the purposes of data protection, you’ll need to let your previous/new tenants know that you'll be passing on their personal details on their behalf to Npower. If they haven’t objected, then you can go ahead and communicate them.

How do I tell Npower about the change in tenant?

The best way to inform Npower of a change of tenant in your property is via their online form. Just follow the instructions on the screen until you complete all three steps of the progress bar at the top.

npower landlords and letting agents

Business customers moving premises

There’s a lot to think about when moving business premises. If the premises you are moving out of was supplied by Npower, don’t forget to contact their Business Movers Team on 0845 075 0430 as soon as you know when you’re moving.

Ensure you have the following information to hand before you call Npower:

  • Your company name
  • Address of the business premises
  • The date of the change in occupancy*
  • Meter readings
  • Your forwarding address and telephone number
  • The details of the new occupier (if known) or the landlord’s name, address and telephone number

Npower will complete the change of occupant process within three weeks.

If you would like your new business premises to be supplied by Npower, contact their New Business Customers team on 0800 980 5505, available from Monday to Thursday from 8:30am to 5:30pm and Friday from 8:30am to 5:00pm.

Frequently asked questions

Whether you’re moving home or moving business premises, these are some of the most frequently asked questions that Npower has received from their residential and business customers respectively. Let’s look at each of them in turn.

Residential customers

Moving in or moving out of your home? This is what most Npower customers have asked.

1. There’s a prepayment meter at my new property. What do I do?

If there's a prepayment meter at the property, call Npower's prepayment meter team on 0800 073 30000.

Ensure you have the following information to hand when you call them:

2. How do I move my direct debit when I move home?

You can do it all online. Simply log into or activate your online account. Go to your account details, click on the payment information icon and change your direct debit details. This could be either the card details or the new billing address.

Business customers

Most questions from Npower business customers typically centre on billing and account management. Here are two of the most frequent questions they’ve asked.

1. Why am I still being billed for premises I’ve left?

You won’t continue to be billed for the business premises you’ve left once you let Npower know when you are no longer legally responsible for the property. Npower will then send you a final bill. Once you have paid any balance owed or received credit refunds due, Npower will close your account and complete the change of occupant process.

2. Why have you billed me from a different date to when I moved in/moved out?

Remember that Npower has to deal with two sets of data. The data you have given them and that which was provided by the outgoing occupant (the person who previously occupied the home you’re moving into). Ideally, both sets of data should be the same.

However, in some cases there’s a discrepancy! The previous occupant may have given Npower different information to that which you’ve provided, or the information that they’ve received may be incomplete.

To resolve any conflicts of information so that Npower can bill you as accurately as possible, they may ask for a photograph of your meter reading.

Remember that Npower will bill you for the period that you are “legally responsible for the property”. This might be different from the move in/out date.

For the most up to date information on Npower, head to our Npower guide. To find out how their customers have reviewed and ranked them, you’ll want to see our Npower Reviews guide. If you have a question to ask them, get the right number from our Npower Contact guide.

The services and products mentioned on this website may only represent a small selection of the options available to you. Selectra encourages you to carry out your own research and seek advice if necessary before making any decisions. We may receive commission from selected partner providers on sales of some products and/or services mentioned within this website. Our website is free to use, and the commission we receive does not affect our opinion or the information we provide.

EDF Energy Logo

Need a Better Deal on Gas and Electric?

Find out how much you can save with EDF Energy today