Thinking about joining Orbit Energy? Read customer reviews and about their tariffs to find out if you should join the customers who have already made the switch to Orbit Energy.
About Orbit Energy
Orbit Energy launched its first energy tariff in December 2017.
In this Orbit Energy guide, we examine the supplier’s energy tariffs and customer reviews. This will help you decide if Orbit Energy is the right supplier for your home.
For current Orbit Energy customers, we also break down the best contact methods for the supplier and how to log in to your online account.
Where is Orbit Energy based?
Orbit Energy is based in London, England. Its parent company, Genie Energy, is an American energy company. Its headquarters are in Newark, New Jersey.
Orbit Energy Reviews: What do customers say?
On customer review site Trustpilot, Orbit Energy has an average review score of 3.5 out of five stars. Of the more than 6,000 customers that left Orbit Energy reviews, 70% gave the supplier either an excellent or good rating. On the other hand, 23% left Orbit either a poor or a bad review score.
Even though the majority of all the Orbit Energy reviews praise the supplier, we found the most recent reviews to be overwhelmingly negative. The most common complaints concern inaccurate billing and difficulty contacting the supplier.
In the unfortunate event that you do experience problems with your energy supplier, you’ll likely want to phone the company to get the issue sorted as quickly as possible.
Since the Orbit Energy phone line is only for emergencies, some customers have complained in their reviews that they find it extremely frustrating that they are not able to actually speak to someone and get the support they need when they have an issue with their energy account.
How well does Orbit Energy handle complaints?
Besides looking at just the Orbit Energy reviews, checking out its complaints performance can also give insight as to if customers often face problems with the supplier.
In the following table, we’ve broken down the most recent complaints handling data from Orbit Energy in 2020.
|Quarter||Complaints received||Complaints resolved||Resolved the same or next working day||Resolved within 8 weeks|
If you wish to make a complaint to Orbit Energy, you can do so in the following ways:
- Online — Submit the online form on the Orbit Energy contact page.
- Via email — Send an email to email@example.com with details about your issue.
- By post — Write a letter with details about your complaint and send it to Orbit Energy Complaints Team, St Dunstans House, 201 Borough High Street, London, SE1 1JA, United Kingdom
No matter your preferred method of making a complaint, we recommend that you include your name, account number and email address in the message. This will help Orbit Energy to access your account and sort the query more quickly.
Orbit Energy tariffs
Orbit Energy currently offers various tariffs: two variable-rate tariffs, a fixed-rate tariff and prepayment options.
Orbit Energy calls its variable tariff the 5% Off 4 Life tariff. As the name suggests, the cost of this tariff is always 5% off the amount of OFGEM's price cap. Each year, OFGEM reviews its price cap in April and October. This means that the price you pay for energy on this tariff will change twice per year. Since this tariff is variable, it does not include an exit fee.
Orbit Energy tariffs also include a fixed-rate tariff, which is called the 12 Month Fix tariff. As stated in the name, this tariff is fixed for one year. Note that even though the rates are protected, your bill may vary depending on your energy consumption.
You can find the rates for this Orbit Energy tariff in the table below. If you end the contract early, you will be charged an exit fee of £30 per fuel.
Does Orbit Energy have exit fees?
Orbit Energy’s fixed rate tariff includes an exit fee of £30 per fuel. If you end the contract less than 49 days before it ends, you will not be charged an exit fee. The variable tariff (5% Off 4 Life) does not charge an exit fee.
Orbit Energy Login
With an Orbit Energy login, you can manage your account 24 hours a day, seven days a week. You’ll be able to do the following via your Orbit Energy online account:
- Submit meter readings
- View your account balance
- Make payments
- Notify Orbit Energy that you’re moving
- Update your tariff
- Update your payment details
It’s easy to log in to your Orbit Energy account. To sign in, simply follow these four steps:
- Go to the Orbit Energy homepage and click the button in the top right corner that says “Log in”.
- Enter the email address that you used to sign up with Orbit Energy.
- Click the pink button that says “Email me a link login.”
- Orbit Energy will send you an email with a link to securely log in to your account. Open the email and click the link.
Even if it’s not your first time logging in, you will still need to enter your email address on the Orbit Energy login page and open the link in your email each time you want to access your online account.
If you have issues logging in, it’s best to contact Orbit Energy by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Does Orbit Energy have an app?
Unfortunately, Orbit Energy does not yet have an app available for customers to use. In order to manage your energy account, you must use the online portal.
Does Orbit Energy do smart meters?
Orbit Energy does install smart meters. You can register to have one installed on the Orbit Energy website. To register, you will need to provide your name, account number and email address.
Currently, Orbit Energy does not support smart prepayment meters. Orbit says it is working on this service to make it available to prepayment customers.
Orbit Energy Contact Number
The Orbit Energy contact number 0333 103 8277. Lines are open Monday to Friday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
When calling the Orbit Energy contact number, you will listen to an automated recording with the following instructions:
- To make a payment using the online payment system, press 1.
- To submit meter reading, view your bill or notify Orbit that you’re moving home, press 2.
- For an emergency, if you are going to lose power or if you are worried about your account, press 3.
If you select either of the first two options, you will be directed to the Orbit Energy website. If you select option 3, you will then be given the following two options:
- If you have no power, or if you are a prepayment customer and you are about to lose power, press 1.
- For any other reason, unless it can be solved using your online account, press 2.
Emergency Contact Information
If you experience a power cut, call 105 to report it. If you smell gas, call the National Gas Service Emergency line on 0800 111 999 and follow the instructions given. An engineer will be sent to your home in order to repair the leak.
Other ways to Contact Orbit Energy
Unless you have an emergency, the best way to contact Orbit Energy is online. You can do so via any of the following online platforms:
- Live chat — To access the Orbit Energy live chat, simply go to the supplier’s website. Click on the blue and white icon with three dots in the button right corner of the screen to start the conversation. This live chat service is available Monday to Friday from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- Online contact form — To access the form, go to the Orbit Energy homepage and click the three lines in the top left corner. Select the option for “Help & Support”, and then click the box that says “Contact Us”. Select the type of issue from the drop-down menu, and enter your name, account number and email address. Then press the pink button that says “Submit form”.
- Email — The Orbit Energy email address is email@example.com. When sending an email, we recommend including your name and account number. This will help Orbit to sort your query more quickly.
- Social media — You can reach out to Orbit Energy on Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn. If you choose to use one of these platforms as your method of contact, we recommend including your account number and email address in the message so that Orbit Energy can look into the issue.
Fuel Mix: Is Orbit Energy 100% renewable?
Orbit Energy says it has supplied 100% renewable electricity since October 2019. It is able to make this claim that it provides 100% renewable electricity because it buys Renewable Energy Guarantees of Origin (REGO) certificates.
When a supplier purchases these certificates from renewable generators, it guarantees that a certain amount of renewable energy has been put back into the grid.
Orbit Energy’s actual fuel mix consists of the following sources: