Ovo Energy Fund: How to Apply
The Ovo Energy Fund is a debt support fund created to help its customers reduce their arrears on gas and electricity bills. If you’re an Ovo customer, it can help you regain financial independence and stability.
Ovo Energy Fund explained
Let’s clear up what the Fund is exactly, what it offers and a rough idea of how to apply.
Why the Ovo Energy Fund?
The central objective of the Fund is to help pull Ovo Energy customers out of fuel poverty. This is a growing problem that requires EU-wide solutions. Ovo Energy plays its part by offering customers the opportunity to reduce or clear their arrears in unpaid energy bills.
How do I get started?
- You will need to apply for the Ovo Energy Fund.
- Your application will be assessed by an Ovo appointed partner.
- While your application is being assessed, Ovo will set up a 1-hour telephone appointment for you to discuss your options on reducing your debt. This could include energy efficiency measures at home.
- If your application is successful, you will hear within a month or so from the date you submitted your application and payment will be made directly into your OVO account.
Am I eligible for the OVO Energy Fund?
You will be eligible to benefit from the Ovo Energy Fund if you fulfil the following criteria:
- You're a current Ovo Energy customer.
- You have a debt on your gas or electricity account that meets the current threshold.
- You have an annual household below the current threshold set by the fund.
- You can provide a valid reason as to why you can’t pay off your debt.
What questions will be asked in the application form?
You will be required to answer yes or no to the following questions. Those marked with an asterisk are obligatory.
- Do you believe the debt is due to a fault on OVO Energy's part?*
- Have you received the OVO Energy Fund in the last two calendar years?
- Is your outstanding balance with OVO Energy more than £150?*
- Is your debt with OVO Energy older than 90 days?*
- What is the income of all household members?*
- Do you meet any of the following criteria?* (This refers to you or someone in your household):
- Is of pensionable age.
- Receives disability living allowance, personal independence payments and/or attendance allowance.
- Is in the support group of ESA.
- Receives the limited capability for work element.
- Has a terminal illness.
- Spends 10% or more of your household income (minus housing benefit/universal credit housing element and council tax support) on fuel bills.
- None of the above.
- Your Details:
- Account number - find it on your Ovo Energy bill.
- Title, first name, surname, date of birth, address, contact number, secondary contact number, email address.
- How did you hear about the OVO Energy Fund?
- Any other comments?
- I give consent to Ovo energy fund partners to get in touch via text/voicemail.
- We recommend you use the “Any other comments” section to add more detail that could help support your application. This could include further detail about your difficulty in paying off your arrears.
- The second question is asked because if your application for the Ovo Energy Fund is successful, you may have to wait before you can reapply. However, if it’s not successful, you can apply again whenever you like.
- If you’re having trouble completing the application form, which may be due to learning difficulties, infirmity, etc., you can ask a third person to help you on the condition they write their details in the relevant section to confirm that they filled in the form with you.
How else can Ovo Energy help me pay my bills?
If you’re an Ovo customer struggling to pay your gas and electricity bills, regardless of whether or not you’re in arrears, call them straight away. Find their number on our Ovo Energy Contact guide.
They can help work out a payment plan with you. If you do fall into debt and it continues to increase, Ovo can fit a prepayment meter at your home. As you’ll be topping up your meter in advance of usage, this will help you avoid falling into debt in the future.
You can still manage your usage using Ovo’s Smart PAYG+ app. Find out more about this in our Ovo Energy Tariffs guide.
Who else can help me pay my energy bills?
There are charities and government organisations that can provide you with financial assistance. You’ll find all the details in our guide to government schemes, grants and aid. These include the following:
- Warm Home Discount - A rebate off of your energy bills.
- Winter Fuel Payment - A payment for elderly people.
- Cold Weather Payment - A payment when temperatures drop to 0ºC or lower.
- Energy Company Obligation - A subsidy towards the replacement or upgrade of heating systems and loft or wall insulation.
How do I get in contact regarding my application for the Fund?
If you have any questions about your application for the Ovo Energy Fund, contact Citizens Advice directly on 0175 250 7703.