Energy Bills Don't Have To Be Stressful

Let Selectra's experts find you a fantastic deal today. Call us now for free!

020 3966 4692 or

Ovo Moving house: Everything you need to know in 2020

Ovo Energy logo with lightbulb and electricity symbol

So you’ve finally finished packing, booked the moving van and arranged for the mail to be redirected, but what about your utility contracts? Fortunately, with Ovo moving house and cancelling your energy tariff is a fairly straightforward process.

Moving out: existing Ovo customers

If you’re already an Ovo customer, it is best to let the provider know that you are moving home up to 28 days prior to the move-in date.

There are a number of different ways you can contact Ovo, but one of the easiest ways to do so is through the My Ovo app or online account.

Cardboard boxes

You should have a few things to hand when getting in touch, namely:

  • Your Ovo account details
  • Your moving date
  • Your new home’s address
  • Your new home phone number, if applicable
  • The final meter reading for your moving out day

As well as submitting the meter reading, it is worth taking a photograph in case you need to challenge any final charges following your move. Also keep in mind that, unless you are on a fixed or variable rate plan, you are likely to have to pay exit fees and charges.

New Home, New StartOur energy experts help you pick the right gas and electricity tariffs. Call us today on 020 3966 4692 or get a free callback now.

Moving in with Ovo

If your new home is already supplied by Ovo and you are happy to continue with the provider, you can simply get your account set up on the Ovo moving home page, provided you have the following information:

  • Your name and date of birth
  • Your new home’s address
  • Your moving date
  • The meter reading for your moving in day
  • Your phone number and email address
  • Direct Debit details

If you feel that Ovo is the best choice for you and it is not already the supplier for the property, the previous provider will keep on supplying the energy and then Ovo will begin billing for energy within 21 days of moving in. You should receive a letter or email with full details and you can keep updated by using your My Ovo account.

Advice for landlords

If you are a landlord and would like to set up an account on the tenant’s behalf, you’ll need to contact the supplier directly with the following details:

  • Name and contact details of the tenant
  • The date you would like to start the contract
  • Name, new address and phone number of the previous tenant (if applicable)
  • Any existing meter reading
  • Any gaps in tenancy. As the landlord, you will be responsible for paying any energy bills during these periods. Even if there is no energy use during this time, you may still be billed for standing charges.

Should the tenant move out, the landlord will need to provide Ovo with the final meter readings for the final day the house is occupied. You can then decide whether to sign up for a new account with Ovo or transfer to another energy provider until new tenants move in.

Make sure you have the following handy when contacting Ovo:

  • Ovo account details
  • Name, new address and phone number of the previous tenant
  • Moving out date
  • Final meter reading for the tenant’s moving out day
  • Name and phone number of the new tenant, if applicable

Moving home as a prepayment customer

Ovo’s pay as you go tariffs were rebranded under the Boost name in 2017. Therefore you should contact Boost if you are moving out.

blue telephone

Boost Moving House Helpline
Please check with your provider if you don't know how much a call will cost.
Telephone: 0330 102 7517
*Monday to Friday: 8.00am-6.00pm, Saturday: 9.00am-1.00pm (Closed on bank holidays)

To close your account, you will need to provide the following information:

  • Your account details
  • Moving out date
  • Your new address and phone number
  • Name and address of the landlord, if applicable

If you are moving into a home already signed up to Boost and would like to continue having your energy provided by the same supplier, you should contact its customer service directly on the number above with your new address and phone number.

Boost can get your account set up there and then and will send out a payment card and key for you to top up with. In the meantime, you will be given a payment code for when you need to charge your gas and electricity while you wait for your key and card to arrive.

New to Boost?Read our handy guide on prepayment meters to learn how to top up your account at a PayPoint.

What if I didn’t take a final meter reading before I moved?

If you haven’t taken a meter reading before moving out, Ovo will either make an estimation of your final bill based on your previous usage or will use the meter reading given by the landlord or new occupants.

How do I know who is supplying my new home?

Gas and electricity box

If you’ve just moved into a new home and you’re unsure which energy provider you’re set up with, there are a few things you can do to find out:

  • Check any letters or statements which arrive or have been left behind.
  • Ask the previous owner, landlord or letting agent.
  • If the property has prepayment meters, you may find the name of the supplier on the meter, key or card.
  • Check your meter serial number and give the Meter Point Administration Service a call on 0870 608 1524 with the details.
Updated on