You are here

British Gas Energy Trust - Explained

To find out more about the energy provider British Gas click here.

The ‘British Gas Energy Trust’ is an independent charity that was set up in 2004 with the ambition of helping as many people as possible that have problems paying for their bills. If you or anyone that you know is having problems paying for their energy bills or needs help with efficiency improvements in their home, The British Gas Energy Trust may be able to them out.

Take a look at the below video to give you a better idea about what it's all about.

Grants Available

Grants, called ‘Further Assistance Payments’ (FAP), are available for a small variety of situations. Here is what they could help you out with:

  • Wiping residential gas and electricity debts that are owed to British Gas or other energy suppliers.
  • Buying essential energy efficient white goods and cookers
  • Bankruptcy and Debt Relief Order fees, Minimal Asset Process and Sequestration
  • Boiler repair or replacement
  • Contributing towards funeral arrears

They can NOT help with:

  • Loans, bills and items that have already been paid for
  • Fines for criminal offences
  • Educational and training costs
  • Down payments and deposits for secure accommodation and mortgages
  • Medical equipment, aids and adaptations
  • Overpayments of benefits
  • Debts from business
  • Unsecured money lending such as credit cards, catalogues and personal loans
  • Holidays
  • Rent and council tax arrears
  • Home improvements such as windows and doors
  • Beds or carpets

Note that...
If you are eligible for the ECO Scheme, you will not receive help via the trust for boiler replacement or repair. As such, you should check your eligibility before submitting your application.
About the ECO scheme

If you are applying for help with your boiler repairs or replacement, please note that one of the following options must apply:

  • Your boiler is over 10 years old
  • Your boiler is inefficient (rated F or G)
  • You have a condemned boiler
  • Part of your boiler are obsolete

How to apply

To apply for a Further Assistance Payment you must contact the British Gas Energy Trust with your application. Only the account holder can apply for a grant; however, if a valid reason is produced for why someone else is applying on your behalf, this will sometimes also be sufficient. The account holder, however, must still sign the application. Only those who live in England, Wales and Scotland are eligible for help through the British Gas Energy Trust at this time. You can apply for a grant or contact the trust via the following methods:

Apply online

Print Application

Telephone number: 01733 421 060

Fax: 01733 421 020

Email Address:


For more information about the British Gas Energy Trust you can visit their website via the link below:

Visit their website