How to open and close your energy bills when moving home

family next to bills

Before you move

Finding it hard to handle all of your utilities? Don't worry, we will explain how to go through both, closing and opening your accounts when moving house.

Step one - Let your energy company know that you’re moving

Ensure that you let your energy company know with at least 48 hours notice that you are going to be moving house. It is also advisable at this point to inform them of your soon-to-be new address so that they are able to send you your final bill through the post


Step two - Decide if you want to switch provider

It’s not you, it’s them! Is it time to say goodbye to your current energy company? When you move house you do not have to keep the same supplier as you had in your previous property, even if you were on a fixed rate contract that is still running; however, if this is the case, then you may have to pay an exit fee for prematurely terminating the contract.

This is quite simple to resolve: the details of your exit fee can usually be found on your energy bill, although if this is not the case, you may need to contact your supplier directly in order to clarify their exit procedure.

It may become clear that transferring your current contract to your new property is the cheaper and more convenient option. If you are on a fixed tariff that you are happy with, you can take it with you to your new home.

The price will be the same when it was locked, however if you have moved to a different region of the country, you should expect to see a slight change in price. Your energy bill will therefore change to the fixed price in that region it was at that time. In any case, contacting the customer service department of your supplier should efficiently clarify your energy plans moving forward

Step three - Read your meters on moving day

It is important that you receive an accurate statement in your last bill. As such, it is crucial that you prevent any misinformation by reading your gas meters on the day that you move out. Once completed, you should send the reading to your energy supplier.

If you are not confident in reading your own gas meter, upon calling your energy provider it may be possible to arrange a reading by one of their professionals

When taking a meter reading for the energy companies, make sure to also take a note of the meter number. The meter numbers are different to the reading numbers. For your gas, it is Meter Point Administration Number (MPAN) and Meter Point Reference Number (MPRN) for your electric. The MPAN is a 21 digit number and is unique to your home.

You can find this 21 digit number on your energy bill. The MPRN is, again, unique to your electricity supply and is usually 6-10 digits long. This can also be found on your bill.

Don't ForgetKeep a copy of your final meter reading so that you can check it against your final bill to check for any discrepancies.

Step four - Move out!

After completing the first three steps, you are free to leave your old house safe in the knowledge that your energy contract has been taken care of, whether that be taking it forward into your new property, or whether you’ve decided to search for something different.

If the latter is your situation, your next step is to start looking for a new provider for your new property.

After You Have Moved Out...

Contact the current supplier and read the meter

When you move into your new property you are required to contact the current energy supplier in order to let them know that you have moved in. This allows them to distinguish between the last tenant’s departure and your arrival when dividing their billing.

Be aware that some properties will not have their gas and electric contracted with the same company. If you receive a bill after your first month in your new home from the previous owners and you didn't call the current supplier, you cannot claim you didn't know, it is your obligation to deal with this.

House For sale

It is also important that you read the meters in your new home in order to prevent overlap in tenancies. Your reading can be given when you call to inform them that you have moved in. If you have not switched your account to your new home, the current supplier can put you onto a standard tariff, which can be 20% more than what you would normally pay. Don’t get caught out! Find out who the supplier is immediately and get your account set up or switched.

If you do not know who the current supplier is, you can contact the Meter Point Administration Service on 0870 608 1524. Alternatively, you can contact your region’s Distribution Network Operator (DNO) and gas distributor. These are the companies that manage the pipeline and overhead distribution lines in your area.

It is likely that upon calling the first company you’ll have the answer to who supplies both of your fuel types; however, it is still worth making sure that this supplier provides both, as some people have their gas and electricity with different companies. You can contact these using the numbers provided in the table below:

Region DNO Number Gas Distributor Number
North Scotland 0800 300 999 0800 912 1700
Central and South Scotland 08000 092 9290 / 0330 1010 222 for mobiles 0800 912 1700
North East England 0800 668 877 0845 634 0508
North West England 0800 195 4141 843 515 8220
Eastern England 0800 783 8838 / 0333 202 2021 for mobiles 0845 835 1111
Southern England 0800 072 7282 0800 912 1700
South West England, South Wales, West & East Midlands 0800 678 3105 0800 912 29 99
South East England 0800 783 8866 / 0333 202 2023 for mobiles 0800 912 1700
London 0800 028 0247 /0333 202 2022 for mobiles 0800 912 1700 / 0845 835 1111
Yorkshire 0800 375 675 0800 040 7766
Merseyside, Cheshire, North Shropshire & North Wales 0800 001 5400 / 0330 101 0400 for mobiles 0800 912 29 99

Remember...You are responsible for your bills from the day that you take ownership of your new property, not the day you decide to move in.

Does your new property have a prepayment meter?

If your new property has a prepayment meter you should contact your supplier immediately. The last thing you want is to be paying off any debts that may have been left by the previous occupant.

It’s easy enough to establish this with a prepaid meter as you can find the debt screen by pressing the recharge button a few times to scroll through the screens. As such, you should avoid using or topping up the meter until you have spoken to your supplier.

  • Whilst speaking with them, you should also ask them to:
  • Remove any debt from the meter left by any previous occupants.
  • Replace your top-up card/key with a new one for you to put money on the meter.
  • Send you any information you should need regarding your meter, including what to do if you were to encounter an issue

You will most likely benefit from changing your prepayment meter for one that allows you to pay for your energy after you use it rather than in advance. According to the Citizens Advice Bureaux, ‘the cheapest prepayment meter deal costs you an average of £235 a year more than the cheapest direct debit deal.

If you do, however, decide to keep your prepayment meter, click on one of the following images to find your nearest PayZone, PayPoint or Post Office so you can top up your meter.

paypoint logo
post office logo
payzone logo

If you wish to replace your prepayment meter for a credit meter (used for direct debit and monthly payments based on usage), then you will have to contact your supplier. This should be the supplier that you’re going to continue using after your meter has been installed.

Most companies will require that you take a credit check. If you pass, your energy supplier will change your prepayment meter for a new credit meter. Depending on the supplier, you could be charged a small fee for any costs incurred during the credit check procedure or towards installation costs.

CALL US TODAY!So, it's time to start searching for a cracking new deal for your gas and electricity, and luckily, we can help you out. Just give us a call and we'll get started! 01704 325069