Hemel Hempstead Water: Hardness, Rates & Supply Info
If you just moved and have some Hemel Hempstead water questions, you will be able to find who handles the Hemel Hempstead water supply as well as wastewater services in the water information below. Additionally, we have tips on how to deal with Hemel Hempstead water hardness so that you can enjoy quality tap water in your home.
Hemel Hempstead Water Supplier
Hemel Hempstead Water is supplied by one water company, Affinity Water. Here are the contact details for your Hemel Hempstead water supplier:
|Water Company||Phone Number||Opening Times|
|Metered Supply||0345 357 2401||Mon to Fri 8am to 6pm, Sat 8am to 2pm||Unmetered Supply||0345 357 2402||Mon to Fri 8am to 6pm, Sat 8am to 2pm|
Hemel Hempstead sewerage and wastewater is handled by a seperate company, Thames Water. Here are Hemel Hempstead sewerage and wastewater contact details:
|Water Company||Phone Number||Opening Times|
|Thames Water||0800 316 9800||24/7/365|
Be aware that calls to numbers starting with 03 may be charged at local rates by your phone company.
Moving to Hemel Hempstead? Call Selectra — Set up your Bills.
Speak with the Selectra Team for free. Sort out all your bills in one call today.
Water Rates Hemel Hempstead
Water rates in Hemel Hempstead depend on if your home has a water meter or not. You can easily find out if your water rates are metered or not by looking at your water bill. Homes with metered Hemel Hempstead water rates will have a meter number listed on their water bills.
Homes that are not metered won't have this, but they will have the rateable value of the home instead. The rateable value part of your Hemel Hempstead water rates will have been determined by the local council in the 90s and will probably not have changed significantly since then.
If you've just moved in or you don't have a bill available, you can look outside your house or in the front garden for a meter. Sometimes the meter may be located inside your house near the stop tap.
If you want to read more about water meters? check out Selectra's essential guide to water meters.
The average water rates Hemel Hempstead residents are being charged result in an average water bill of around £374 a year. This amount combines both water supply and sewerage costs.
If you are interested in saving money on your water bill then our handy guide to water rates in the UK will give you some useful tips & tricks to lower your water bill.
Expensive Hemel Hempstead Water bills? Call Selectra to Save.
Speak with the Selectra team to save on other home bills. Don't let water ruin your budget.
Hemel Hempstead Water Hardness
Hemel Hempstead water hardness is rated as very hard water. While rainwater itself is relatively soft, water hardness can change through the water cycle. Due to the way water filters through rocks in Hemel Hempstead Water's supply area, Hemel Hempstead water picks up minerals, such as magnesium or calcium, on the way to your tap.
Hemel Hempstead water hardness rating means that the very hard water in your home will lead to scaling in kettles, sinks, dishwashers and loos. There are however ways to mitigate hard water furring or scaling in Hemel Hempstead:
- Baths, sinks and toilets: Use an acidic sanitiser regularly (available in local shops) to clean susceptible surfaces in order to clear limescale deposits.
- Kettles: Avoid overfilling your kettle with water in general. Make sure that you clean your kettle by half-filling and adding two tablespoons of white vinegar, leaving it for four hours in order to loosen scale build-up. Rinse and repeat to remove the scale.
- Dishwashers: Take advantage of the built-in water softener. Make sure you regularly top it off with dishwasher salt in the appropriate compartment.
Can you drink the water in Hemel Hempstead?
Yes! you can drink the water in Hemel Hempstead. Hemel Hempstead water meets the highest standards to make the water safe to drink. The UK Drinking Water Inspectorate has scored Hemel Hempstead water quality a 99.96% in overall mean zonal compliance, meaning that your water is safe to drink. It is not necessary to boil or filter Hemel Hempstead water to make it potable.
If you notice a change in taste or smell of Hemel Hempstead water this may be due to one of the following reasons:
- Chlorination which is a safe way to ensure hygiene throughout the pipe network.
- Seasonal changes can infuse Hemel Hempstead water with an earthy smell or taste.
- Plumbing can also contribute to the taste of your household water, adding metallic, salty or rubbery hints.
If you have questions about your water's taste, smell or appearance, you should not hesitate to contact Affinity Water.
Hemel Hempstead Water Problems
Hemel Hempstead water problems can include anything from a burst water main or flooding to no water in your home. This is why you should make sure you know what to do and who to contact regarding water emergencies.
If you notice a water leak or flooding outside your Hemel Hempstead property, you need to do one of the following:
- If you are out and about, call or tweet Affinity Water
- If you are near a computer, go to the "report a leak" section of Affinity Water and fill out the online form.
Hemel Hempstead No Water
If you have no water in your home, you need to find out if the issue is to do with your home plumbing or an Affinity Water outage impacting Hemel Hempstead.
- Check the "In Your Area" sections of the Affinity Water website for any information explaining why you have no water.
- Ask your neighbours whether they have the same issue as you.
- Check that your stop tap is open
If you have no water, is it only no cold water? or no hot water? If you have cold water but no hot water, the issue will be with your home plumbing and not the water company
If there is no cold water, not even a trickle, contact Affinity Water for assistance.
Hemel Hempstead Water Discolouration
If the water in your home is discoloured, the issue might be an Affinity Water issue impacting Hemel Hempstead.
- Changes to the colour of the water in Hemel Hempstead may happen after a burst pipe has been repaired
- Or, Affinity Water could have been carrying out upgrade work on the pipes in Hemel Hempstead
- Water Discolouration is not harmful and can often be cleared by running the cold water tap until it becomes clear
If there is no improvement after trying this, you can contact Affinity Water for assistance.