Bracknell Water: SuppIier, Rates & Emergency Info
If you just moved and have some Bracknell water questions, you will be able to find who handles Bracknell's water supply as well as wastewater services in the information below. Additionally, we have tips on how to deal with Bracknell's water hardness so that you can enjoy quality tap water in your home.
Bracknell Water Supplier
Bracknell Water is supplied by one water company, South East Water. Here are the contact details for your Bracknell water supplier:
|Water Company||Phone Number||Opening Times|
|South East Water||0333 000 0001||Mon-Fri 8am-7pm, Sat 8am-1pm|
Bracknell sewerage and wastewater is handled by Thames Water. Here are Bracknell's sewerage and wastewater contact details:
|Water Company||Phone Number||Opening Times|
|Thames Water||0800 316 9800||24/7/365|
Be aware that calls to numbers starting with 03 may be charged at local rates by your phone company.
Moving to Bracknell? Call Selectra — Set up your Bills.
Speak with the Selectra Team for free. Sort out all your bills in one call today.
Water Rates Bracknell
Water rates in Bracknell depend on whether your home has a water meter or not. You can easily find out whether your Bracknell water rates are metered or not by looking at your water bill. Homes with metered Bracknell water rates will have a meter number listed on their water bills.
Homes that are not metered won't, but they will have the rateable value of the home instead. The rateable value part of your Bracknell water rates will have been determined by the local council in the 90s and will probably not have changed much since then. The local rate was decided using various factors at the time, such as the availability of local services and size of the property.
If you've just moved in or you don't have a bill handy, you can look outside your house or in the front garden for a meter. Sometimes the meter may be located inside your house near to the stop tap.
If you want to read more about water meters check out Selectra's essential guide to water meters.
The average water rates Bracknell residents are being charged result in an average water bill of around £418 a year. This amount combines both water supply and sewerage costs.
If you want to save money on your water bill then our handy guide to water rates in the UK will give you some great tips & tricks to lower your water bill.
Expensive Bracknell Water bills? Call Selectra to Save.
Speak with the Selectra team to save on other home bills. Don't let water ruin your budget.
Bracknell Water Hardness
Bracknell's water hardness is rated as very hard water. While rainwater itself is relatively soft, water hardness can change through the water cycle. Due to the way water filters through rocks in South Eastern Water's supply area, Bracknell water picks up minerals, such as magnesium or calcium, on the way to your tap.
Bracknell water's very hard rating means that the hard water in your home will lead to scaling in kettles, sinks, dishwashers and loos. There are ways to mitigate hard water furring or scaling in Bracknell.
- Dishwashers - Take advantage of the built-in water softener. Make sure you regularly top off it off with dishwasher salt in the appropriate compartment.
- Baths, sinks and toilets - Use an acidic sanitiser regularly (available in local shops) to clean susceptible surfaces in order to clear limescale deposits.
- Kettles - Do not overfill your kettle with water, using only the amount of water that you need. Make sure that you clean your kettle by half-filling and adding two tablespoons of white vinegar, leaving it for four hours in order to loosen scale build-up. Rinse and repeat to remove scale.
Can you drink the water in Bracknell?
Yes! you can drink the water in Bracknell. The UK Drinking Water Inspectorate has scored Bracknell's water quality a 99.96% in overall mean zonal compliance, meaning that your water is perfectly safe to drink. It is not necessary to boil, filter or otherwise further alter Bracknell's water in order to make it potable.
If you notice a change in taste or smell of Bracknell's water this may be due to one of the following reasons:
- Chlorination is a safe way to ensure hygiene throughout the pipe network.
- Seasonal changes in water characteristics can infuse Bracknell's water with an earthy smell or taste.
- Plumbing can contribute to the taste of your household water, adding metallic, salty or rubbery hints.
If you have questions about your water's taste, smell or appearance, you should not hesitate to contact South East Water.
Bracknell Water Problems
Bracknell water problems can include anything from a burst water main or flooding to no water in your home. This is why you should make sure you know what to do and who to contact regarding water emergencies.
If you have no water in your home, you need to find out if the issue is to do with your home plumbing or a South East Water outage impacting Bracknell.
- Check the "In Your Area" sections of the South East Water website for any information explaining why you have no water.
- Ask your neighbours whether they have the same issue as you.
- Check that your stop tap is open
If you have no water is it only no cold water or no hot water. If you have cold water but no hot water, the issue will be with your home plumbing and not the water company
If there is no cold water, not even a trickle, contact South East Water for assistance.
If you notice a water leak or flooding outside your Bracknell property, you need to do one of the following:
- If you are out and about, call or tweet South East Water
- If you are near a computer, go to the "report a leak" section of South East Water and fill out the online form.
Bracknell No Water
Bracknell Water Discolouration
If the water in your home is discoloured, the issue might be a South East Water issue impacting Bracknell.
- Changes to the colour of the water in Bracknell may happen after a burst pipe has been repaired
- South East Water could have been carrying out upgrade work on the pipes in Bracknell
- Water Discolouration is not harmful and can often be cleared by running the cold water tap until it becomes clear
If there is no improvement after trying this, you can contact South East Water for assistance.