Welsh Water Moving Home Guide 2022

Updated on
min reading
Welsh Water Moving Home Banner

Moving home is stressful – we get it. Our guide to Welsh Water Dŵr Cymru moving home will take away some of the stress so you can focus on packing those boxes. Our Welsh Water moving home guide is divided into sections depending on the move you’re making.

Welsh Water Moving Home for Existing Customers

moving truck

Existing Welsh Water Dŵr Cymru customers who are moving home to another property supplied by Welsh Water Dŵr Cymru will need to contact the Welsh Water moving home team to request a change of address.

When you contact Welsh Water Dŵr Cymru regarding a change of address, your current Welsh Water billing method will stay the same.

Unlike other water suppliers, you can only inform the Welsh Water moving home team after you have moved or on your moving day at the earliest.

You can register your change of address either online, by telephone, or via live chat.

Welsh Water Moving Home Contact

You can let Welsh Water about your move both online or over the phone. Online is the easiest way and and takes just a few minutes, but you will need to have your account reference number ready along with the date you moved.

Customers who prefer to contact the Welsh Water moving home team by telephone can do so by calling 0800 052 0145. The Welsh Water moving home team are available Monday to Friday 8am-6pm, and Saturday 9am-1pm.

If you need to double check who your water supplier is, take a look at our Water Supplier List to find the supplier in your region.

How To Cancel Welsh Water

Customers who have a Welsh Water account and are moving to a different supplier region will need to cancel their Welsh Water account.

To cancel your account with Welsh Water, you will need to let Welsh Water know on the day you move or anytime afterwards. You will also need to have your Welsh Water account reference number and meter reading if your property has a water meter.

Welsh Water Dŵr Cymru may also request a forwarding address where they can send any final paperwork, such as a final bill or statement.

You can speak to the Welsh Water moving home team on 0800 052 0145 Monday to Friday 8am-6pm, and Saturday 9am-1pm. Alternatively, you can fill out the online form via their website to cancel your Welsh Water account.

Is Welsh Water a hard water area? Welsh Water typically supplies softer water than the rest of the UK. This is due to the lack of minerals, such as calcium and magnesium in the water To find out more about hard and soft water, check out our Water Hardness guide.

Welsh Water Moving Home for New Customers

contract and pen

Customers who are moving into a property supplied by Welsh Water Dŵr Cymru for the first time must register for a new account and set up their water bill.

You can only contact the Welsh Water moving home team to register an account after you move in. The earliest you can register is the same day you move in.

Customers who previously had a Welsh Water account can reactivate the old account. However, you will need to know:

  • Your previous Welsh Water account number
  • The postcode of the last property where you were a Welsh Water customer
  • The year you moved out

Customers who have never had a Welsh Water account will need to start from fresh with a new account.

The easiest way to register is on the Welsh Water Dŵr Cymru website, and it should only take a few minutes if you have your details to hand.

Alternatively, you can choose to register by calling the Welsh Water moving home team by telephone on 0800 052 0145. They are open Monday to Friday 8am-6pm, and Saturday 9am-1pm.

There’s not just one way to pay your bill! Everyone’s finances are different and some payment methods suit some people better than others. When signing up with Welsh Water, there are different payment options that are available to choose from. Check out our How To Pay Your Water Bill guide to find out more.

Welsh Water Moving Home for Students

magnifying glass and document

Students will need to register for a Welsh Water account if they handle the water bill.

As some landlords will include the water bill in the rent, we recommend you check your tenancy agreement to find out if you need to register for a water account or not.

Students who need to pay for their water account can register online or by phone for a Welsh Water account.

Alternatively, if you’re an existing Welsh Water account holder from a previous property, you can contact the Welsh Water moving home team to request a change of address.

Welsh Water Dŵr Cymru is also compatible with HyperJar. With HyperJar, you can plan and share the cost of your water bill with your housemates. It makes organising and paying for your shared bills easy, as each jar is a separate mini-account, so you can each add to the budget and then designate who makes the payment when it’s due.

As Welsh Water Dŵr Cymru is a HyperJar partner, you can benefit from the HyperJar AGR (Annual Growth Rate). AGR is like interest in your bank account. Every penny you allocate to the Welsh Water Dŵr Cymru budget will increase your spending power by 4.8% per year. Whilst you cannot turn this money into cash, like with traditional interest, you can use it with the partner you’ve allocated it to.

It’s a really great way to save your student budget for more important things like books, or beer.

Welsh Water for Landlords and Tenants

One of the most confusing part of setting up your water bills for the first time is knowing who pays for what. If you are tenant or a landlord, it's likely the water bill will be on a case-by-case basis and you should communicate to see if it's included in the rent or not. Either way, the Welsh Water moving home process makes the transition smooth.

Welsh Water Moving Home for Landlords


Landlords can notify Welsh Water Dŵr Cymru of a change of tenant by using the free nationwide Landlord TAP portal. This portal lets landlords manage their property portfolio online. You can use Landlord TAP to:

  • Add and remove properties within your portfolio
  • Let Welsh Water know about changes to tenant details, including changes of tenancy
  • Notify Welsh Water when a property becomes empty
  • Inform Welsh Water if you sell or stop managing the property

Remember, the responsibility lies with the landlord to keep the property information up to date with Welsh Water Dŵr Cymru. Landlord TAP is perfect for landlords who manage several properties.

Welsh Water Moving Home for Tenants

water drop

Welsh Water Dŵr Cymru tenants will need to check if they pay their water bill or if it’s included in their rent, as some tenants must pay the Welsh Water Dŵr Cymru bill whilst other tenants may have the bill included within their rent.

We recommend you check your rental agreement or speak to the landlord or agency to find out who is responsible for the water bill at your property.

Tenants who pay their own water bill will need to let Welsh Water Dŵr Cymru know when their tenancy started and submit meter readings if the property already has a Welsh Water meter installed.

It’s important to remember that you can only register for a Welsh Water account after you move in. Unlike other water suppliers, Welsh Water Dŵr Cymru doesn’t allow for advance registration.

You can register for a water account online or by getting in touch with the Welsh Water moving home team by phone. Their number is 0800 052 0145, and they’re available Monday to Friday 8am-6pm, and Saturday 9am-1pm.

Welsh Water Moving Home Complaints

If you have a complaint about your Welsh Water moving home experience, you should get in touch with the Welsh Water moving home team for complaints on 0800 052 0130. Unfortunately, you can’t switch water suppliers so you will need to let Welsh Water try and fix the problem for you.

If after 8 weeks Welsh Water had failed to respond or you are dissatisfied with their response, you should take your complaint to the Consumer Council for Water (CCW). The CCW is an official body that deals with water complaints after a water company has failed.

If the CCW fails, you can escalate your dispute further with the Water Redress Scheme (WATRS). Do not take your complaint to the water regulator Ofwat as they will not be able to help you.

Just Moved In and No Water?

  1. Locate the stop tap. This will often be near your water meter.
  2. Turn the tap anti-clockwise to allow the flow of water. Don't force it, it should turn easily.
  3. Check the taps to see if you have water running.

If you've tried this and there's still no water coming from the tap, consult our No Water in House guide.

Can I Remove a Welsh Water Meter When I Leave?

water bill

You cannot remove your water meter if you’re moving to a new address. This is because, unlike gas and electricity providers, you cannot change your water supplier. The water meter is the property of Welsh Water Dŵr Cymru.

If you wish to move the meter, you must contact Welsh Water Dŵr Cymru to request that they move it for you. You can contact Welsh Water Dŵr Cymru on 0800 052 0145.

Can I Get a Smart Water Meter with Welsh Water?

Currently, Welsh Water Dŵr Cymru is trialling smart water meters with some of their customers and are not rolling them out on a larger scale just yet. However, since leakages affect around 30% of houses in England and Wales, smart water meters have significant benefits for customers.

To read more about the advantages, check out our Smart Water Meter guide.

What's the Average Water Bill for Welsh Water?

The average yearly water bill for the Welsh Water Dŵr Cymru area has increased from last year but only by around £1. Many water suppliers have been putting up their prices to combat inflation and the ongoing energy crisis and Welsh Water has also had to adapt its prices.

Here is a graph showing the average bills for last year and this year:

Why Is Welsh Water So Expensive?

Welsh Water Dŵr Cymru has a reputation of being more expensive than other water suppliers around the country.

While it is true that Welsh Water Dŵr Cymru have water rates which are higher than the national average, this is due to the fact that they have a huge operation to manage.

Since Welsh Water Dŵr Cymru manages the water supply and sewage for the whole of Wales, they have to manage longer pipes and more wastewater treatment facilities than any other water supplier in the UK.

Curious to know how your water bill compares? Customers up and down the country pay different water rates. If you are a Welsh Water customer, you might want to find out how your water bill compares to other regions. Check out our Average UK Water Bill to find out more.

Welsh Water Moving Home with WaterSure

Welsh Water, like all water suppliers in the UK, offers the WaterSure Scheme to customers who need to use more water than usual due either to a medical condition or a larger household. The WaterSure Scheme caps your water bill to the average water bill in your supply area.

Some customers worry that when they change suppliers, they might lose out on the WaterSure Scheme. If you were on the scheme, you should let the Welsh Water moving home team know that you are moving, and they will help you sort it out with them.

If you are moving to Welsh Water from another supplier, also like the Welsh Water moving home team know if you need any more support. Welsh Water has another programme called HelpU which is designed to help customers with their water bills.

The services and products mentioned on this website may only represent a small selection of the options available to you. Selectra encourages you to carry out your own research and seek advice if necessary before making any decisions. We may receive commission from selected partner providers on sales of some products and/or services mentioned within this website. Our website is free to use, and the commission we receive does not affect our opinion or the information we provide.