Utilita Energy - Reviews, Top Up, Contact & Smart Meters
Utilita Energy is an independent energy supplier based in the UK. The company's unique selling point is their Prepayment Smart Meter, which can be topped up remotely without a key or fob. As of January 2018 they held a 2% market share and supplied gas and electricity to approximately 600,000 customers throughout the UK.
How to top up
As mentioned, Utilita specialises in Prepayment Smart Meters which can be topped up without leaving the house. You can top up their meter in a variety of ways:
- Using a key at your nearest PayPoint - Details about PayPoint and locating the nearest location can be found here. This method has a minimum of £2 and a maximum of £45 per top up.
- By text - The number to text is 01803 500 051. Text the word 'Pay' followed by the top up card number, the amount to be topped up, and the 3-digit card security code. Topping up by text has a limit of between £10 and £175.
- By telephone - Their automated top up line allows you to make payments between £5 to £50. The phone number to call is 03452 068 333.
- The Utilita app is available on Android and iPhone and through it you can top up between £10 and £175.
- Online - Payments of between £10 and £175 can also be carried out on the Utilita website with an online account.
- Direct Debit - Utilita also offer a Pay As You Go (PAYG) direct debit option, which tops up your meter automatically each month with an amount of your choice. This option would be similar to being on a fixed direct debit tariff, but at the higher PAYG rates.
All of these methods require you to have your Utilita Card details ready before use.
Customer reviews for this small gas and electricity supplier are extremely mixed. As of January 2018 their TrustScore on TrustPilot is 1 out of 10, the lowest possible rating, whilst their Which? Annual Survey customer score is 75%, coming in fifth place out of 31 suppliers. The mix in customer service reviews suggests a very varied service level and, given Utilita's independent energy supplier status, something that is preventing them from challenging the Big Six as effectively as some of the other independent suppliers.
If you want to login to your Utilita account to make a payment or top up, you can use the link below. If you have not got an account you can create one by following the link and choosing either 'Register' to create one, or 'Top up'/'Make a Payment' to carry out either of these actions without creating an account. If you have forgotten the password to your account then you can select 'Forgotten password?' and enter your email address to receive a link to reset your password.
Utilia has four tariffs available to its residential customers. These tariffs are available for gas only, electricity only and duel fuel contracts. Their 'Smart' tariffs require the prepayment smart meter and the 'Premium' tariffs are more expensive but do not require the installation of this meter.
- Smart Energy - This is their leading tariff that offers unit rates that decrease after a set amount of usage every month.
- Smart E7 - Their smart Economy 7 tariff
- Premium Energy - The standard tariff for those without smart meters
- Premium E7 - Their non-smart Economy 7 tariff
OFGEM regulations require all energy suppliers in Great Britain to publish their fuel mix compositions. Their generation sources are split into percentage representations and made publicly available, which puts pressure on companies to increase their renewable energy sources. At 31%, just under one third of Utilita's Fuel mix is from renewable sources, which is just slightly above the UK average at 24.2%.
In their 2016/17 public accounts, Utilita announced a turnover of £411 million, a 52% increase on the previous year, giving them an annual profit of £20.2 million. Whilst their turnover more than doubled, this profit is 20% less than the previous year, possibly due to their growth from 279 to more than 659 members of staff and their acquisition of Chesterfield call centre specialist bvocal. For some market context the most recent public supply profits for the largest industry supplier, British Gas, were £487.8 million.
Within this 2016/2017 Annual Report, Utilita also claimed to be Britain's fastest growing energy supplier. To view more of Utilita's public financial statements, you can visit the below link:
Utilita Warm Home Discount
Utilita split their Warm Home Discount between December and January, when they believe people need the savings the most.
If you would like to speak to Utilita about the Warm Home Discount, you can send an email to WHD@utilita.co.uk. Their advised response time for this email address is up to five days.
If you would like to get in contact with Utilita about your existing account or the potential setting up of a new one, you can put yourself in contact with them via the details presented below. They have three numbers for general and account queries. You should check the colour of the card you have with Utilita if you are an existing customer as this will determine the number that you have to call. You can also get in contact with them via email or letter using the information in the bottom box.
Please check with your provider if you don't know how much a call will cost.
03303 337 441
*Monday to Friday: 8am-8pm; Saturday: 8am-5pm; Sunday: 8am-5pm
Send a letter to...
Utilita Secure House