Selectra UK works with this energy provider.

EDF Energy Moving Home: Your Step-by-Step Guide

EDF logo next to moving boxes

Moving home is a stressful enough process without the added complications of dealing with your energy supplier. To help make your move easier, we've broken down all the essential steps every EDF Energy customer should take when moving to a new location.

Moving Out: Existing EDF Energy Customers

If you’re an EDF Energy customer leaving a property, the procedure is as follows:

  1. Make sure you’ve set yourself up on the EDF MyAccount system. This will help you to manage the move.
  2. Ten to 14 days before your move, log in to MyAccount and tell EDF you’re moving via its ‘Move Home Form.’ Don’t tell them earlier than 14 days before a move because you may create problems for yourself.

To close the account you will need the following details:

  • Your account number.
  • Your new address.
  • Your moving date.
  • Your closing meter readings.
  • Your landlord or letting agent’s contact details (for renters only).

It’s also a good idea to photograph your final meter reading when you leave the house in case you need a record of it later. You can submit a meter reading to EDF Energy by logging in to MyAccount or by calling 0333 200 5108.

If you have a smart meter, it’s not necessary to submit a meter reading to EDF. However, taking a photo is still a good idea just in case.

EDF Energy will then close your account. If you owe the supplier for any unpaid energy usage, it will send you a final bill. If your account is in credit, the company will refund your money. If you pay by Direct Debit, EDF will refund your bank account, but if you pay by cash, cheque or card the company will send you a cheque for the amount. In this case, it's important to make sure EDF has your new address.

If you use a prepayment meter, you should try to gauge your final top-up so you don’t leave any money on the meter. EDF Energy says they will refund any remaining credit by cheque. However, you must give the company at least two days notice before moving out to say that you want a refund.

If EDF Energy is already the supplier for your new address, you can ask the company to transfer your EDF Energy tariff from your old address. If EDF Energy isn’t the current supplier, you can ask for an account to be set up for your new home.

Your final bill from EDF can take up to 42 days from when you informed them of your move to arrive.

Moving in with EDF Energy

EDF Energy should be able to move your tariff to your new address unless your existing tariff is tied to a certain type of meter that’s not available at your new property. Even if you’ve already moved but haven’t told EDF about it, you have up to 30 days after you move in to inform the supplier.

moving truck

Make sure you’ve registered with EDF’s MyAccount, then you can log in and click on ‘Move Home’. You’ll need to provide the following details:

  • Your account number.
  • Your new address.
  • Your closing meter reading from your previous property.
  • The contact details of your old landlord or letting agent (for renters).
  • The opening meter reading at your new address

You can also take care of the ‘Move Home’ process via the green live chat button on the right-hand side of the EDF website, as well as on the app. Alternatively, you can call EDF’s customer service team on 0333 200 5100. They’re available from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday to Friday or on Saturdays from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m.

Be aware that if you had a prepayment meter at your old property, you can’t get your old balance transferred at this stage. You can only close the old account.

In the case where the new property is connected to another supplier, EDF Energy will work with the other company to organise the transfer of your account.

Want to open a new account with EDF Energy?

You can sign up via the EDF Energy website. Get a quote by answering a few questions about your energy needs using the quote tool, choose the best tariff for you and sign up online. EDF Energy will send you a welcome pack with a copy of your account details and your new contract.

If you would like a smart meter fitted, you can request one from EDF Energy. For more information, send an email to or call 0333 009 7000.

What about my Feed-in Tariff?

The feed-in-tariff scheme is no longer available. It has since been replaced by the Smart Export Guarantee (SEG).

If you sell a property with a renewable energy system connected to the grid, you should speak to your solicitor about transferring ownership correctly.

EDF Energy requires you to send proof of ownership before the supplier will start paying you. You should complete a change of ownership form and email it to or send it by post to Green Hub, EDF Energy, Gadeon House, Grenadier Road, Exeter EX1 3UT.

Advice for Landlords

EDF advises landlords that it’s preferable for tenants to deal with the supplier directly themselves. However, if you want to deal with EDF on your tenants’ behalf, you can call the company on 0333 200 5100 from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday to Friday or from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Saturdays. You can also contact an agent using the green live chat button at the side of EDF webpages or write a letter to the following address: EDF Energy, Freepost RRYZ-BGYG-JCXR, 334 Outland Road, Plymouth PL3 5TU.

Landlords will be asked to supply the following details:

  • The name and contact information of your new tenant
  • The starting date for the billing period.
  • Opening meter readings.
  • Contact information for former tenants
  • Information about any gaps in the tenancy.

It is important to provide information about any gaps in the tenancy because, as the landlord, you're responsible for paying the energy bills that accrue during this period. Remember that even if there’s no usage at the vacant property, the standing charge will continue to accrue each day, independent of energy usage.

Note that for the purposes of data protection, you’ll need to let your previous/new tenants know that you'll be passing on their personal details on their behalf to EDF Energy. If they haven’t objected, then you can go ahead and communicate them.

Moving for Business Customers

moving boxes

If you’re an EDF Energy business customer that is moving out of a property, make a record of your final meter reading on the day your lease ends or on the day you move out of the premises. EDF may require official documentation, such as tenancy agreements, solicitors’ letters or Land Registration documents to confirm the change of status for the property.

If you have used less energy than EDF predicted, you can request a refund online via MyAccount. If you’re moving your business to new premises and your contract has at least five months remaining, you may be able to move your old contract as well. Contact EDF from Monday to Friday between 8 a.m. and 6 p.m. for more information.

If you're moving in to a new location for your business, you will also need to provide EDF with official documentation, such as a tenancy agreement. In addition to these documents, you will also need to provide your new address, opening meter readings and a forwarding address for the previous occupants.

You should find out who the previous energy supplier was at your new business location. If it was EDF Energy, you may decide to either continue with them or sign up with a new supplier. Whatever your decision, we advise that you do not continue to consume electricity and gas without setting up a new contract. Otherwise, EDF Energy will not charge you at the rates that were being paid by the previous occupant. You'll instead be moved on to a more expensive variable tariff.

EDF Moving Home FAQs

1. What if I didn’t take a final meter reading before I moved?

Log in to your MyAccount page and inform EDF that you have moved. They will estimate your usage or use any opening reading given by the new occupant of your former property to calculate your final bill and close your account.

2. Can I take my HeatSmart thermostat with me?

Sure, but the device must be uninstalled from the old property and installed in the new location by a qualified electrician. If you don’t want to take it, make sure you unregister the system from your app before you leave, so the next occupant can use it.

3. Why am I on a deemed tariff?

A Deemed Tariff is used when a supplier delivers energy to a property but there has been no contract signed with the customer. So, if you have moved into a new property that has power but you have not yet signed any contracts, you are probably on a deemed tariff. Be careful, as deemed tariffs are usually more expensive than other tariffs.

4. Can I cancel my EDF Energy tariff?

You can cancel your tariff within the 14-day cooling-off period after signing up or if you have less than three months left on your contract. Outside these periods you may have to pay an exit fee, even if you’re moving to another EDF Energy tariff. Dual fuel tariffs may have one fee for electricity and another for gas, although not all tariffs have an exit fee.

Updated on

The services and products mentioned on this website may only represent a small selection of the options available to you. Selectra encourages you to carry out your own research and seek advice if necessary before making any decisions. We may receive commission from selected partner providers on sales of some products and/or services mentioned within this website. Our website is free to use, and the commission we receive does not affect our opinion or the information we provide.