Power NI Top Up For Keypad Customers
Power NI Customers on the Keypad tariff - Power NI’s pay as you go option - will have to top up regularly to ensure that they preserve the supply of electricity into their homes. Here you will find the various methods through which you can top up and how, when purchased, to implement your Power NI top up.
To top up through any of the methods outlined in this guide you will need your Keypad card or the 19 digit Premise number found on the front of the card. If, for whatever reason, you cannot find your Keypad card and don’t remember the Premise number, contact Power NI’s Customer Service. Find the relevant contact information by heading to our Power NI Contact page.
Power NI Top Up: In-store & over the phone
If you have limited or curtailed access to the internet, you may prefer to top up in-store or over the phone. In the proceeding sections you will find instructions for both. If you would prefer to top up online, skip through to the next sections.
Customers can top up your Keypad meter at any PayPoint or Post Office. Simply locate your nearest branch or PayPoint outlet, request your desired top up amount at the cash register and hand over your Keypad card or your Premise number.
You will receive a receipt with a 20 digit code - otherwise known as the Powercode - which you can insert into your Power NI Keypad at home. If you are unsure about how to enter the code, scroll through to our “How to use Power NI Keypad” section for instructions.
If you don’t know where your nearest Post Office branch or PayPoint outlet is, use the search functions in either of the following locators:
- PayPoint locator
- Post Office branch finder
Over the phone
To top up over the phone, call the Power NI top up line on 03457 455 455 and press 1 on your phone’s keypad. You will need to have your 19 digit Premise number, which you can find on the front of your Keypad card, and your payment details at the ready. Once payment has been processed, you will receive the Powercode for your meter over the phone.
Power NI top up online
Can you top up your electricity meter online? Yes. Doing so is quick, easy and efficient. Keypad customers can top up on the Power NI website, either through their Energy Online accounts or through Power NI’s guest sign in feature. The procedures for Energy Online and ‘guest’ users are outlined below.
If you have an Energy Online account, simply head over to the Power NI website and take the following steps:
- Head to the homepage and click the Keypad top up button (underscored in pink) or on the green ‘Login to Energy Online’ button in the top right-hand corner of the page.
- Log in using your username and password.
- Go to the top up section by using the menu or clicking the button on your Keypad dashboard.
- Follow the prompts to completion and you will receive your Powercode.
If you haven’t yet registered for an Energy Online account, you should consider doing so. Not only can it speed up the top up process - users can save their payment details for future use - it also lets you keep track of your payments and top up history, among a myriad other features.
Top up as ‘guest’
To top up without registering for an Energy Online account, go to the Power NI website and follow the steps below:
- On the homepage click on either the Keypad top up button (underscored in pink) or the green ‘Login to Energy Online’ button in the top right-hand corner of the page.
- Scroll to the bottom of the portal login and click on the link that reads ‘Top up or pay a bill without registering’ - it’s right under the pink sign in button.
- Click on ‘Top up my keypad’ button at the top of the list.
- Enter the last 9 digits of your Keypad Premise number and tap continue.
- Follow the prompts to completion and you will receive your Powercode.
Why have I received a 40 or 60 digit Powercode?You will receive a Powercode longer than the usual 20 digits whenever Power NI has to update your keypad meter or after a change in electricity prices (unit rates). Key in your Powercode as normal to top up and apply the update.
Power NI Keypad top up app
If you are looking for an even faster and more efficient way to top up, download the Power NI app - available on the Apple Store and Google Play. To use the app you will have to log in to your Energy Online account or register for one if you haven’t yet. You will have to set a pin on your first login and you can activate fingerprint ID so that you don’t have to resubmit your details.
Once you are logged in, select ‘Keypad top-up’ and ‘New Payment’. Follow the prompts until completion and you will receive your Powercode.
Power NI minimum top up
There are two minimum and maximum ranges that apply to different top up methods.
Please note that you also have a maximum credit amount of £999.99 that can be held on your Keypad meter at any one time.
How do I top up my electric meter with my code?
What to do once you have your 20 digit Powercode? Simple. Head over to your Keypad meter with your Powercode to hand. Press the * key, then proceed to enter your Powercode. Upon completion of the code, press the # key. If you make a mistake whilst keying in your code, press the * key to delete a digit, then simply re-enter and press the hash key when finished.
- Press * key
- Enter your Powercode
- Press the # key to complete
If successful, you will receive a confirmation message on the meter’s display. If not, you may receive one of the following messages:
- “Duplicate” - You have previously entered the code attempted. Try again with a new code.
- “Incorrect” - Either you have keyed the code incorrectly or it corresponds to a different property (check the Premise number on your receipt).
- "Error" - You have missed a number when keying in the code or you were too slow to enter it.
- "Kblock" - The code has been keyed incorrectly five times in a row. Key in your code when the message disappears.
- "Wrong Tar" - Electricity prices have changed; you must enter the special 40 digit Powercode from your latest purchase, or perform a new top up to get the code.
- "Credit Hi" - You have too much credit, wait a few days and re-enter your code.
Useful Keypad features
You can access your Powercode history (last five Powercodes used) on your Keypad meter. If you perform multiple top ups and store them for future use, be sure to check your Powercode history to avoid “Duplicate” errors. To access your Powercode history, press the 4 key.
Additionally, you can check how much credit you have left by pressing the #; or to see home much credit you have left in days, based on your consumption of the preceding week, press 1.
If you are not quite sure how much to top up, take a look at the cost of the previous day’s, week’s or month’s consumption. Use this as a guide for subsequent top ups.
What if I’ve lost my Powercode?
If you have lost your top up code and haven’t yet entered it into your Keypad meter, there are a few ways to retrieve it. For PayPoint or Post Office top ups, take your Keypad card to the branch from which you purchased your top up.
For all top ups, regardless of the method, you can see your recent purchase by logging into your Energy Online account, selecting “Previous top up code” and then “Retrieve previous top up code”.
If you haven’t registered for Energy Online, you can use the ‘guest’ sign in feature. Head to the Energy Online login portal, scroll down, select “Top up or pay a bill without registering” and click on “View my previous top up code”. You will need to enter the last nine digits of your Premise number in the subsequent page before viewing your last purchase.