Scottish Power & British Gas in Edinburgh - Contact details
The incumbent energy suppliers in Edinburgh are Scottish Power for electricity and British Gas for gas. Electricity distribution in Edinburgh is operated by SP Energy Networks. Gas distribution in Edinburgh is operated by SGN
SP Energy Networks emergency contacts in Edinburgh
The power lines in Edinburgh and most of Scotland are maintained and managed by Scottish Power Energy Networks, also known as SP Distribution.
- Emergency number - 0800 092 9290
- Non-emergency number - 0330 1010 444 (Central & Southern Scotland)
- Postal address in Scotland: Customer Resolution, SP Energy Networks, 320 St Vincent St, Glasgow, G2 5AD
- Email address for Scotland: email@example.com
Power cut? Get in touch with your area's Distribution Network Operator, Scottish Power Energy Networks. They, and not your energy supplier, are in charge of any electricity connection faults. You can contact them via the information above or follow live updates via the link below: View live power cuts in your area
SGN emergency contacts for gas in Edinburgh
SGN, also known as Scotia Gas Networks, is the gas mains operator in Edinburgh. You can contact them if you smell gas and for any other inquiry.
- Smell gas: National Emergency Number: 0800 111 999, 24/7
- General inquiries with SGN, call 0800 912 1700, Mon-Fri 8am-8pm, Sat 8am-4pm
- By text, send an SMS to 07490 077 649, Mon-Fri 8am-6pm
- SGN's email address is firstname.lastname@example.org
- SGN postal correspondence address is SGN, Inveralmond House, 200 Dunkeld Road, Perth PH1 3AQ
British Gas contact in Edinburgh
British Gas operates in Scotland under the brand Scottish Gas. The Scottishgas.co.uk website redirects to the Britishgas.co.uk website, and the logos of both brands are the same.
- The address of Scottish Gas in Edinburgh is 1 Waterfront Ave, Edinburgh EH5 1SG.
- Their opening hours are Mon-Fri 8am-8pm Sat 8am-6pm
- The phone number for Scottish/British Gas in Edinburgh is 0843 837 0763
The Scottish Gas building in Waterfront Avenue has been bought by Islamic Bank BLME for £26.9m from Palm Capital in August 2019.
Scottish Power contact in Edinburgh
As an heir to the South of Scotland Electricity Board, Scottish Power is the incumbent utility for electricity in Edinburgh.
- The phone number for Scottish Power's general inquiries is 0800 027 0072 (Mon-Fri 8am-8pm, Sat 8.30am-4pm)
- The address of Scottish Power's head office is ScottishPower UK plc, Cathcart Business Park, Spean Street, Glasgow, G44 4BE
- The email address for Scottish Power is email@example.com
Despite having been able to choose energy providers since 1990, many areas still seem to have an affinity towards their historically linked supplier. The most popular provider in the Edinburgh area is Scottish Power.
What about the Scottish Electricity Board ?
The Scottish electricity boards (South of Scotland Electricity Board and North of Scotland Hydro Board) were the public authorities in charge of electricity distribution and retail before the liberalisation. In 1990, ScottishPower was created from the larger of the two electricity boards in Scotland, the South of Scotland Electricity Board. Boards don't exist any longer.
It is interesting to note that the headquarters of SSE used to be in Rothesay Terrace, in Edinburgh, although the city is outside of the company's distribution area.
Average Energy Usage by City
According to the sub-national electricity consumption statistics 2010, the City of Edinburgh has 256000 domestic meters and a total domestic electricity consumption of 932.9 GWh. This makes the average domestic consumption of electricity per meter (per household) 3644 kWh in 2010. Selectra estimates the figure to be roughly stable in 2020.
More recent figures can be taken from British Gas's UK Energy Consumption Checker:
- Electricity - 700 kWh = £118 over 3 months
- Gas - 2494 kWh = £126 over 3 months
Edinburgh Energy Offices
Edinburgh is home to the headquarters of Cairn Energy. If you are interested in a career working for Cairn Energy, click here to vist their career page.
Address : Cairn Energy PLC Clydesdale Bank Plaza Exchange Plaza 50 Lothian Rd Edinburgh EH3 9BY Scotland
Edinburgh's electricity supply used to be fulfiled by the 'South of Scotland Electricity Board', which was privatised one year later than in England, 1991. Afterwards, the company became 'Scottish Power', which was acquired by Spanish conglomerate 'Iberdrola S.A' in 2007; however, they do continue to use the Scottish Power branding.
The gas in Edinburgh was supplied by 'Scottish Gas Board' from 1949 until 1973 when it became a subsidiary of the British Gas Corporation.