Don't overpay any longer - Switch now!

01704 325069

You are here

Winter Fuel Payment - how to qualify, claim forms and contact

Winter Fuel Payment

Winter Fuel Payment is a government scheme that gives support to elderly people who struggle to pay their energy bills in the winter. It is money that helps pensioners pay for the energy they need during cold weather.

You receive between £100-300 tax-free to help pay for your heating costs. Payments are made automatically between November and December but this year they could be delayed until the first week of January 2019. Check the circumstances listed below to see if they apply to you.

Unlike the discount benefit of the Warm Home Discount, the Winter Fuel Payment is paid directly into the bank or building society the recipient.

How is the Winter Fuel Payment made?

  • The amount you receive from the Winter Fuel Payment scheme will depend on what your circumstances were during the qualifying period.
  • The qualifying period is the second half of September. Money that you may receive will be tax-free and will not affect your other benefits.

The Winter Fuel Payment isn't means tested despite of government discussions that suggest the opposite. The circumstantial categories to qualify are as follows:

Winter Fuel Payment

If you or someone in your household gets the following benefits your eligibility can be affected: Jobseeker's Allowance, Income Support, Employment Support Allowance and Pension Credit.

Do I qualify for Winter Fuel Payment?

All the following personal conditions apply to what your status was this past september (specifically between 17 to 23 September 2018).

You are eligible if:

  • You were born on or before 5th May 1953.
  • You were living in the UK throughout the second half of September.
  • You are disabled.
  • You live in Switzerland or a country within the European Economic Area (EEA) and have a legitimate link with the United Kingdom, there is a possibility that you will be able to claim for Winter Fuel Payment.

You are not eligible if:

  • You lived in Cyprus, France, Gibraltar, Greece, Malta, Portugal or Spain.
  • You lived in a care home for 12 weeks or more before this past september and received Pension Credit, Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance or Income-related Employment and Support Allowance.
  • You were in prison.
  • You needed permission to come into the United Kingdom.

What happens to Winter Fuel Payment if I move abroad?If you live in Cyprus, France, Gibraltar, Greece, Malta, Portugal or Spain you will not be eligible to claim for this scheme, as the average winter temperature in these countries is higher than the average winter temperature in the warmest region of the UK.

Winter Fuel Payment claim forms

You can fill in one of the following forms. Click the relevant link depending on where you live:

If you have never received this payment before, which we will assume because you’re here, you will need to claim it. You will also need to apply for it if you have deferred your state pension (even if you have had it before) or any of the following are relevant to you:

Winter Fuel Payment conditions
  • You do not receive benefits or a state pension.
  • You only get Housing Benefit, Council Tax Reduction or Child Benefit.
  • You get benefits or a state pension but you live in Switzerland or an EEA country.
  • You are claiming for the first time.

Winter Fuel Payment contact

You can apply for Winter Fuel Payment in the following ways:


You can fill in an online contact form with any query or claim that you might have. If you have any questions or you have not received your Winter Fuel Payment even though you have in the past, you can contact the Winter Fuel Payment Centre via the same contact form.

By Phone

From the UK: 03459 15 15 15
From overseas: +44 (0) 191 218 7777

Textphone number: 0345 606 0285
Textphone from overseas: +44 (0) 191 218 7280

Monday to Friday from 8am to 6pm

Make sure you have the following details with you:

  • Your bank of building society account details
  • Your National Insurance number
  • Your BIC and IBAN if you are living in within the European Economic Area countries stated above or Switzerland
  • The date that you were married or entered into a civil partnership, if relevant to you

You will be asked about where you were during the qualifying week and what you were up to, just to check that you weren’t involved in any of the disqualifying activities.

By Post

Winter Fuel Payment Centre
Mail Handling Site A
WV98 1LR
(WV98 1ZU if outside the UK)